Hi..Please review & rate the Analysis of an Argument.

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
The following appeared in a memorandum issued by a large city's council on the arts.
"In a recent citywide poll, fifteen percent more residents said that they watch television programs about the visual arts than was the case in a poll conducted five years ago. During these past five years, the number of people visiting our city's art museums has increased by a similar percentage. Since the corporate funding that supports public television, where most of the visual arts programs appear, is now being threatened with severe cuts, we can expect that attendance at our city's art museums will also start to decrease. Thus some of the city's funds for supporting the arts should be reallocated to public television."

In the preceding argument, the author claims that the increase in the number of people watching television programs about visual arts is linked with the number of people visiting city's art museums. Hence, some of the city's funds for supporting arts should be reallocated to public television if the government wants to keep the attendance at city's museums constant. However, the author's argument may well have merit, but it is based on several questionable premises and assumptions, and based solely on the evidence provided by the author, the conclusion cannot be rendered valid.

The primary issue with the author's reasoning is his unsubstantiated premises. The premise that 15% more residents responded to the poll as was conducted 5 years ago is loosely based. There is no evidence to why the 15% more residents responded positive to the poll. Also, the author links the number of people visiting arts museum to the number of people watching TV programs about visual arts without providing any substantial evidence to prove the same. Another loose premise is that the reallocation of funds to public television would keep the attendance at city's museum constant. The author provides no legitimate evidentiary support for the mentioned premises, and renders his argument invalid.

In addition, the author makes several assumptions which remain unproven in his claim. The author assumes that the increase in the percentage of people responding positively to the poll conducted implies that the number of people has also increased. The author does not take into consideration the present population of city and the population 5 years ago. Another assumption the author makes is that because the corporate funding to public television is being threatened, this will have a negative impact on the people visiting the museum as well. The number of visits to a museum may rise if people don't get to watch visual arts on television. So if this assumption falters, the whole argument falls apart.

While the author does have several key issues in his argument's premises and assumption, that is not to say that the entire argument is without base. If the author provides additional information about the population of the city 5 years ago and at present, then the conclusion can be supported. Also, if the author provides information about the trend of visits made to the museum irrespective of the viewership of public television, the conclusion may fall in place.

In sum, the author's argument is based on unsupported premises and unsubstantiated assumptions that render his conclusion invalid. If the author truly hopes to change his reader's mind on the issue, he would have to largely restructure his argument, fix flaws in his logic, clearly explicate his assumptions and provide evidentiary support. Without these things, his poorly reasoned argument will likely convince few people.

A detailed explanation of the mistakes made would be appreciated. Thanks ! :)

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:760

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:30 am
" is linked with the number of people visiting city's art museums."

I think you should say "linked to"

"However, the author's argument may well have merit"

Try to avoid being wishy washy with the "may well have merit". Instead, say something like, "However, the author's argument could be strengthened"

"The premise that 15% more residents responded to the poll as was conducted 5 years ago is loosely based." This sentence isn't clear. Say something like, "The value of a poll in which fifteen percent more residents responded to the poll this year than the number of residents that responded to a similar poll conducted 5 years ago is questionable."

"In addition, the author makes several assumptions which remain unproven in his claim." In this case use "that", rather than "which". The modifier is essential

"While the author does have several key issues in his argument's premises and assumption, that is not to say that
the entire argument is without base.
Reword, this is awkward

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Nidhi_Singh » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:41 am
osirus0830 wrote:" is linked with the number of people visiting city's art museums."

I think you should say "linked to"

"However, the author's argument may well have merit"

Try to avoid being wishy washy with the "may well have merit". Instead, say something like, "However, the author's argument could be strengthened"

"The premise that 15% more residents responded to the poll as was conducted 5 years ago is loosely based." This sentence isn't clear. Say something like, "The value of a poll in which fifteen percent more residents responded to the poll this year than the number of residents that responded to a similar poll conducted 5 years ago is questionable."

"In addition, the author makes several assumptions which remain unproven in his claim." In this case use "that", rather than "which". The modifier is essential

"While the author does have several key issues in his argument's premises and assumption, that is not to say that
the entire argument is without base.
Reword, this is awkward
Thanks for the feedback! :)
On a scale of 2-6..how much would this fetch?

GMAT Instructor

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:57 am
I'm not arrogant enough to think I could imitate the official GMAT scorers, but I would say its probably a 4.

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by bhumika.k.shah » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:08 am
osirus on what grounds did u give that rating ???

What are the grounds they grade our AWAs ???
osirus0830 wrote:I'm not arrogant enough to think I could imitate the official GMAT scorers, but I would say its probably a 4.

GMAT Instructor

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:12 am
bhumika.k.shah wrote:osirus on what grounds did u give that rating ???

osirus0830 wrote:I'm not arrogant enough to think I could imitate the official GMAT scorers, but I would say its probably a 4.
You can find the criteria online, don't remember where though. From my understanding, in order to get a 5 or 6, you have to have a great command of the language, no repetition, and minor grammatical and spelling errors. You get a 3 or 4 if you have moderate grammatical and spelling errors. He had a few errors, that I would classify as stronger than minor, so I gave it a 4.

Legendary Member

by bhumika.k.shah » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:14 am
o lord! :-(
osirus0830 wrote:

You can find the criteria online, don't remember where though. From my understanding, in order to get a 5 or 6, you have to have a great command of the language, no repetition, and minor grammatical and spelling errors. You get a 3 or 4 if you have moderate grammatical and spelling errors. He had a few errors, that I would classify as stronger than minor, so I gave it a 4.

GMAT Instructor

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:22 am
bhumika.k.shah wrote:o lord! :-(
osirus0830 wrote:

I honestly don't know why people worry about it. I don't think the score is that important unless you get a 2 or something.

Legendary Member

by bhumika.k.shah » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:24 am
Its not that easy also. atleast not for everyone. especially when u r already sooooo freaked out for d main exam...
:(
osirus0830 wrote:
osirus0830 wrote:

I honestly don't know why people worry about it. I don't think the score is that important unless you get a 2 or something.

GMAT Instructor

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:28 am
I understand its not easy. I guess what I meant is I don't know why people care about the score. For instance, I took the exam last week. I spent 15 minutes each on the essay, because I just don't care about the score. From the admissions officers I have spoken with, they only look at it if you're borderline, so its unlikely to ever be important. I would spend time on studying verbal and quant instead.
bhumika.k.shah wrote:Its not that easy also. atleast not for everyone. especially when u r already sooooo freaked out for d main exam...
:(
osirus0830 wrote:
osirus0830 wrote: