Hi Experts,

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Hi Experts,

by saurabhkamal1981 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:12 am
Hi Experts,

Need your help in the following question of OG-12 (Q.94). I also researched and got the following links.

The recent surge in the number of airplane flights has clogged the nation's air-traffic control system, to lead to 55 percent more delays at airports, and prompts fears among some officials that safety is being compromised.

(A) to lead to 55 percent more delays at airports, and prompts
(B) leading to 55 percent more delay at airports and prompting
(C) to lead to a 55 percent increase in delay at airports and prompt
(D) to lead to an increase of 55 percent in delays at airports, and prompted
(E) leading to a 55 percent increase in delays at airports and prompting

My answer is B, but the correct answer is E and i don't know why ?

weblinks:-

https://www.beatthegmat.com/og-12-94-t53374.html

https://www.beatthegmat.com/og-12-sc-94-t59672.html

After reading both of these i am confused. The following summary from the above two link is:-

1. Just "more" or "fewer/less" makes it unclear what is being compared. To make it clear, "than" usually follows, so "more than" or " fewer/less than." In this case, it's "55 percent more" than what?
"Increase" or "decrease" is much clearer, and there is no dispute what it increased or decreased from.

2. the -ing form of verb leading should have an object however in B there is no object more delay is an adverbial phrase we need a noun
E corrects this error by converting the adverbial phrase into prpositional phrase IN DELAYS

3. E says that there is increase in the number of flights that are being delayed or affected.

whereas B says that the time of delay has increased by 55%........but time of what????? one flight or all the flights...nothing is clear....

I understand the first option, but the other two confuses me. Please advise.

Will be waiting for the reply.

Thanks & Regards
Saurabh Kamal
[email protected]
------------------------------------------------
Image "Finally started BTG practice questions"

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by gmat_perfect » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:50 am
The recent surge in the number of airplane flights has clogged the nation's air-traffic control system, to lead to 55 percent more delays at airports, and prompts fears among some officials that safety is being compromised.

The skeleton of the sentence:

The recent surge has clogged system, .......

Before COMMA we have a clause with subject and a verb.

We know that COMMA + VERBING modifies the entire preceding clause. So we are left with B and E.

I have not seen in the OG's or in the GMATPREP the use of "COMMA + TO + VERB".

[If any one finds any one sentence in which "COMMA+ TO + Verb" is correct, please post that one.]

"More .........than" is the correct idiom.

Sometimes, we don't need the use of "than" after "more" if we have already mentioned the number.

Example:
He has made fifty runs, but I have made more.
They have won ten gold medals in Asian games, but we have won more.

=> In these two sentences we have already mentioned numbers.

Now, see the option B. Does it mention any number, or does it have "more ....than" construction? NO. So, it is not correct.
Another problem in B is the use of "delay" instead of "delays". Delay means only one time delay. If they counted the times of making delay, they would have to use "delays".

Answer: E

by KrazyKarl » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:01 pm
Because the underlined part is a modifier after a comma it really has to be that present tense verb "leading". For B to be right, then, you'd need to have "more delays" since "delay" itself is singular and we're adding to it so it has to be plural. So B is out and E is the only one left standing, right?

by saurabhkamal1981 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:02 pm
gmat_perfect wrote:The recent surge in the number of airplane flights has clogged the nation's air-traffic control system, to lead to 55 percent more delays at airports, and prompts fears among some officials that safety is being compromised.

The skeleton of the sentence:

The recent surge has clogged system, .......

Before COMMA we have a clause with subject and a verb.

We know that COMMA + VERBING modifies the entire preceding clause. So we are left with B and E.

I have not seen in the OG's or in the GMATPREP the use of "COMMA + TO + VERB".

[If any one finds any one sentence in which "COMMA+ TO + Verb" is correct, please post that one.]

"More .........than" is the correct idiom.

Sometimes, we don't need the use of "than" after "more" if we have already mentioned the number.

Example:
He has made fifty runs, but I have made more.
They have won ten gold medals in Asian games, but we have won more.

=> In these two sentences we have already mentioned numbers.

Now, see the option B. Does it mention any number, or does it have "more ....than" construction? NO. So, it is not correct.
Another problem in B is the use of "delay" instead of "delays". Delay means only one time delay. If they counted the times of making delay, they would have to use "delays".

Answer: E
Thank you so much for this information. It has really cleared my doubt.

"we don't need the use of "than" after "more" if we have already mentioned the number".

Second, I never thought about "delay" to be singular, may be i missed to identify "delay"; However doubt on "More than" and "More" is cleared. Thank you so much and really appreciate for your help.

Regards
Saurabh

by saurabhkamal1981 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:06 pm
KrazyKarl wrote:Because the underlined part is a modifier after a comma it really has to be that present tense verb "leading". For B to be right, then, you'd need to have "more delays" since "delay" itself is singular and we're adding to it so it has to be plural. So B is out and E is the only one left standing, right?
Thanks