Help With The Critical Reason Part

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Help With The Critical Reason Part

by perfectstranger » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:15 am
Hi Gmaters :) My problem is that I cannot pace my time in CR questions and my success is 60%. My questions are followed below.

1- Is GMAT reading comp. related with Critical Reasoning; that is when Critical reasoning improve does Reading Comp. improve (casual relation) or the linkage between CR and Reading is non-casual.

2- If the relationship which I have mentioned above is casual, do you advise the book of CR Bible by Powerscore? ( Note: I have finished Manhattan CR and Official Guide 11th and OG Verbal once)

3- If not what would you suggest?

Thanks in advance

by erjamit » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:29 am
I would suggest first concentrate on accuracy and then pacing. It implies that lets say if you do 20 CR problems take whatever time you want to take but ensure that you are able to dissect the argument into conclusion, evidence and assumptions clearly. If you can do that a major portion of CR is done. Then attack the answer choices and nail down the correct one using PoE.

CR and RC are related.

In GMAT quantity doesn't matter, quality matters. What I mean is even if you solve 10,000 CR questions and still your accuracy is 50% it implies your approach is not appropriate. You can look at Kaplan Verbal book for CR strategy or google. Practice as well as appropriate strategy are the keys.

I am also struggling with CR/RC with accuracy of 60-70%.

Hope it helps
Amit

by perfectstranger » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:42 am
thanks amit. Any other suggestion GMATers ?

by perfectstranger » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:45 am
My struggles are ;

1- I will not pace my time. Time generally finish when I am on #14 where 16 questions.

2- I get confused in the answer choices because they are so close to each other.

3- I usually get stuck with the inference questions, bold faced questions ,method of reasoning and answer choices with questions(evaluate the argument)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:09 am
Okay, let's start with timing.

One of the things you should know is that you aren't going to be able to do every single question to the best of your ability. Sometimes, you're just going to have to let something go - you'll still make an educated guess, ideally, but you won't just continue to sit on the problem. The longer you spend, the more likely you are to get it wrong anyway, and you're also guaranteeing yourself others wrong at the end b/c you ran out of time!

So. Figure out whether there are any patterns in terms of the CR types that tend to cost you too much time. Analyze the argument structure (boldface) tends to take a lot of time for most people. And the good news is, these aren't that common on the test. (Most people get either 0 or 1 of these.) So, for these, instead of spending 3+ minutes (and not having great odds re: getting it right anyway), learn how you can eliminate some of the answer choices reliably, do so, guess from among the remaining choices... and move on.

Inference questions are very common on RC and fairly common on CR (sometimes called "draw a conclusion" on CR - but that's the same type), so for those, you'll need to get better. The basic thing to remember is this: when the test asks you to infer or draw a conclusion, what they really want is for you to tell them something that MUST be true, no argument, given the information in the problem / passage. If you have to make even a tiny little assumption - that choice is wrong.

This is tricky because, in the real world, when someone asks you to infer something, they usually do want you to make some assumptions and use your outside knowledge of the topic / world to conclude something that is only plausible, but doesn't have to be 100% true. That is NOT what this test wants. The correct answer has to be something with which you cannot argue - according to the info given in the passage, it's got to work.

For example, I might tell you that chocolate is my favorite flavor of ice cream. In the real world, you might infer that I like chocolate in general, or I like ice cream in general. And, yes, there's a good chance that both of those things are true. But they don't HAVE to be definitely true, without a doubt. What is true, without a doubt, is that vanilla is not my favorite flavor of ice cream. I've already said chocolate's my favorite and, by definition, you only have one favorite. (I know we sometimes say we have two favorites - but that's not consistent with the definition of "favorite.")

Finally, on your item #2, start studying why wrong answers are wrong. Maybe, on a "weaken the conclusion" question, you have a choice that addresses one of the premises, but doesn't actually affect the conclusion. It's tempting because it does address a given premise - it's got all the right keywords, etc. But the question asked us to weaken the conclusion... so any choices that don't actually affect the conclusion can't be right.

Play this game: for every problem you study from now on (you can do this with RC too), ask yourself, "Of the 4 wrong answers, which one do I think is the most commonly chosen wrong answer and why? Why is it so tempting? And why is it wrong even though it's so tempting?" You can even post problems here and ask people to weigh in - what do they think is most tempting (but wrong) and why? That will help you to start to identify WRONG answers (in particular, the tempting ones) with confidence.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:17 am
Great response, Stacey! Moved this post to CR forum area.
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Legendary Member

by raunekk » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:32 pm
Stacey ,that was an awesome explanation....!!

Thanks a lot!!

by erjamit » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:05 pm
Thanks Stacey for your gems. :D

GMAT Score:590

by iwill » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:32 am
Thanks a lot Stacey !