Help with study plan ( need around 700 )

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Help with study plan ( need around 700 )

by Cyc » Tue May 31, 2011 9:18 am
Hello,

A brief introduction about myself

Am Kuwaiti, 23 years old (24 in 4 weeks). Graduated from Kuwait University College Of Business Administration with 3.40 GPA and Major GPA 3.80 (Major is Finance). Been working at the Central Bank of Kuwait as an assistant dealer since 11/4/2010. TOEFL: 102.

Am going to apply for a full paid scholarship through my university to complete my studies abroad (MS and Phd) and be a professor there. I applied before but i "think" i got rejected so i need to improve my profile (well the only thing i can improve right now is my GMAT score), even though the competition is tough because its a full paid scholarship and a dream job for anyone and there are only 1 to 2 seats available every year so you can figure how tough it is!

Anyways i gave the GMAT twice before but i seriously feel that i did not study or spent much time to give it a real shot:

1st Sept 2009 480, V23 Q32 (i only studied the basics in 1.5 months and did not know anything about the test)

2nd July 2010 600, V27 Q45 (i bought some books and read them but i had to do it earlier because the deadline for the scholarship was close so i rushed and i think my top mistake was not practicing a lot after reading the books)

So here is the deal, am going to start studying and preparing for it the seriously this time and for the last time, and am aiming to get around 700 or as much as i can. I still did not pick a date to do the test but am thinking in December so i have around 6 months to prepare.

In spite of my work and my addiction to gym and fitness addiction i still have free time through the day (my work starts at 7.30 and finishes at 2.30, and i can practice there as well).

I need a study plan to improve overall and mostly in Verbal (you can figure why from my test results) mostly in RC and CR.

I have the following books:

Powerscore's CR Bible
Manhattan GMAT SC 8th Edition
GMAT 12th Official Review
Kaplan GMAT Premiere 2010 and 2008
And i think i have Kaplan math workbook
I have a Grockit account too.

------
PS: I applied for some programs with this profile (to raise my chances to get the scholarship) and got two admissions which are FSU's MBA program and Tulane University's MS in Finance program. But i had to turn them down because i can't go without the scholarship *cries*. I was hoping to go to Tulane but oh well i will work hard this time to aim higher and do better!
------

Do i have enough books? Should i buy something else? or program? there are a lot of questions and things i need know. Please provide with as much information as you can.

So i need opinions, advises, expert's replies and anything to make my plan and BEAT this beast!

Best Regards.

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Tue May 31, 2011 5:57 pm
Hi, Welcome and all the best for your preps. I suggest you go through the success stories on I just beat the GMAT forum.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/i-just-beat- ... t-f15.html

There are some study strategies also available on this site. I suggest you go through them and fix a plan that helps you.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/gmat-guide

I think you have enough books. Start with a practice test to guage yourself.
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:730

by 007.r.mason » Tue May 31, 2011 7:56 pm
I believe that you have enough books. How many mock tests do you have left. I would recommend that you have a range of target scores in Quant and Verbal section and aim for those. Start with one section, improve your performance in that and then move on to the next section.

The reason is that you probably would not go from 600 to 700 right away, but 640 in your next exam may be possible, then 660 and so on.. Finally for 700 you could aim for 48 in Quant and 37 in verbal (or another combination, the point is that you have a goal). Since you are relatively close in quant, make sure that you focus on quant to score around 47-49 in your next mock. Then devote all your energy to verbal while practicing quant enough to maintain your score.
Aim high!!
Achieve excellence!!

by Cyc » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:34 am
I only have the official mock test. Do you recommend any others? I would buy some good mock tests..

What i had in my mind is to start to review the basics and books that i have to refresh my memory for for the first 2~3 weeks and then do a mock test to see where do i stand.

@007 then as you said i will strengthen my weaknesses in Q then give it time/energy to verbal.

I need more tips on how to improve in V sections (mostly RC and CR)

Thanks for the comments amigos

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by MBA.Aspirant » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:36 pm
ya hala walla, keef halak? ana men masr :-)

by Cyc » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:24 am
MBA.Aspirant

Hala wala. Did you beat the GMAT yet ?:P

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Strongt » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:10 am
ana men Qatar :)))

a5barkum shabab? I'm still working on it.

Cyc, to get a 700 score, i think you should enroll in an online prep course

by Cyc » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:12 am
7ayallah ahal Qatar..

I do not think it is necessary?
I think i just need an organised study plan and the effort to do it. Am going to start this sunday tho!

Did you give it a shot before?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by KWDSL » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:42 am
Dear Mr. Ali

I just start my second GMAT study Plan before few days.
I use Manhattan GMAT , Powerscore's CR Bible and other books.
I have ((Class Handouts for Manhattan , MGMAT Study Organizer , and MGMAT Official Guide Tracker, Also I have page by page syllabus for Manhattan books)). I can share it with you.

I study in Jaber Al-Ahmad Central Library (Al-Shuwaikh Campus).

My undergraduate major is Economics

My mobile # 66851025
You are welcome to call me at any time

Best regards
jasim