Help with profile evaluation. THKS.

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Help with profile evaluation. THKS.

by silvia928 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:31 pm
Hi Lisa,

I've just done with GMAT today. A score of 640 with (V49, Q27 haven't received my AWA yet).It is my third attempt, and I know it is still not a strong grade. However, since the GMAT score its only a part of our profile, I would like to know how's my chances of getting into schools that ranked at 25-40s'? I am really hoping that I would have a little chance for USC's full-time or part-time. Is it possible? I've heard people saying that the part-time MBA degree isn't as valuable as the full-time ones. Is that true? How different it is?

Here's my profle:

Asian-American 26 yrs old

Language: English, Chinese

BS in Economics, UCLA
GPA: 3.12 overall

Working expereince:

3 yrs up to this point, as a credit analyst in a public traded bank. What I do at work:

- underwriting for all kinds of commercial loans which involves, property inspection, appraisal review, financial statement analysis...etc
- monitoring the potential risk of individual loans, assisting outside auditors
- initialed and completed a bankwide project, which helps to improve the operational efficiency

License:
-California Real Estate Sales Agent License

Extracurricular activities:

-Volunteered in the Tzu Chi Fundation
-Volunteered Income Tax Assistance
-Volunteered tutor in Math and Economics
-Student Accounting Society
-memebers of phi delta kappa Honor Society

Thank you for your help in advance.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:54 am
Dear silvia928,

Your 640 is a solid score; however, your quant score of 27 will be a concern to most MBA programs in the top 40. You will need to provide other evidence of quantitative aptitude in your application. For example, your transcript showing grades of B or better in quantitative courses or an alternative transcript showing successful completion of math courses in the last year. If you are able to show your quantitative aptitude through other parts of your application, then you have a shot at a program in the 25-40 range. You will also need to submit a strong set of essays and recommendations.

As for part-time versus full-time, a part-time program is not any less valuable or regarded than a full-time program. However, part-time programs are designed for people wanting to stay in their current career path and need the education to continue to advance. If you are looking to make a career change, then a part-time program might not be the best option. If you need the MBA to continue to advance at the bank, then the part-time program is a great option.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Sorry, a few more questions...

by silvia928 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:29 pm
Hi Lisa,

Thanks for your input. I made a typo. I mean I had a 49 in Q and a 27 in Verbal instead. Therefore, do the MBA schools concern that much in verbal as well? I did take all the required English classes in college and did receive B's or above. Will that be sufficient to prove my ability in the language part?

Thank you very much again for your help. I feel much better about my score now.

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:44 am
Yes, there will be concern over your verbal score, but other parts of your application can mitigate it considerably. Your essays and interview are the primary ways you can demonstrate your verbal ability. Your recommendations can also help if your recommenders provide evidence of good communication skills.

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

by silvia928 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:22 pm
Hi Lisa,

After carefully reading more information for each schools, I really wanna to go to USC.

Full time: USC has an average about 690, 80% range 640-740. GPA 3.30, Avg. 5 yrs of working experience.

Part time: GPA 3.21, Avg 623, 80% range 550-700, Avg 5.7 yrs

Part-time seems to be easier to get in; however, I prefer the full-time program better. Since I can't apply both programs at the same time, what do you think my chances are for these two programs?

Is it really necessary for me to retake the GMAT again?

I've taken three times already, is taking the 4th time gonna look bad? (or what if I even got a lower grade?)

Thanks for your input,

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:06 am
Just because the average GPA and GMAT are lower, does not mean the part-time program is easier to gain admission to than the full-time program. It just means the class make-up is different on these measures. A part-time program is designed for folks wanting to advance in their current career path, not for folks wanting to make a career change. So, if you are wanting to make a career change, then the full-time program is the appropriate program for you.

Your 640 is at the bottom of the mid-80% range, but that doesn't mean you have no chance for admission to the full-time program. It just means the rest of your application has to make a compelling case to offer you one of the seats in the class. Whether or not you should retake the GMAT is a decision for you to make based on your assessment of your ability to score higher. If you feel that a fourth attempt will not result in a higher score, then it is not worth retaking the test.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me