Help required with this

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

Help required with this

by ankita1709 » Thu May 31, 2012 3:25 am
What's the difference between A and C especially.
Actually I am confused between all the options
Attachments
Untitled 4.jpg

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:680

by sam2304 » Thu May 31, 2012 5:32 am
A - use possessive form only with living things else avoid that option if there is a better one. So as of now hold it
B - have received intends the women are receiving it from the past still receiving, but are receiving changes the meaning - no need to change tense unless it is necessary - eliminate
C - fine and better than A.
D - receive X by Y - wrong. Receive X from Y is the right structure
E - same error as above with change in tense.

IMO C.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.
https://gmatandbeyond.blogspot.in/

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by nitingoel » Thu May 31, 2012 6:18 am
I also support (C) and completely agree with sam's line of reasnoning.

Regards
Nitin

Followed by:2 members

by ankita1709 » Thu May 31, 2012 7:30 am
A - use possessive form only with living things else avoid that option if there is a better one. So as of now hold it-- Agreed
B - have received intends the women are receiving it from the past still receiving, but are receiving changes the meaning - no need to change tense unless it is necessary - eliminate-- How do you know that they are receiving it from past, the sentence in commas is a modifier and I could not get anything about the tense of the sentence from it.
C - fine and better than A.-- How did you judge it is better than A. The only difference between two sentences is the possessive form
D - receive X by Y - wrong. Receive X from Y is the right structure-- Agreed
E - same error as above with change in tense.-- Same comment as above

IMO C.

Followed by:19 members
GMAT Score:740

by Birottam Dutta » Thu May 31, 2012 8:22 am
Dear Ankita,

Forget about the tense for now.

First of all, unqualifying support is not correct usage, it has to be unqualified support. On the basis of this, A and B are eliminated. And as you have already agreed, D is incorrect. So, we are left with C and E.

Now, coming to your point, try and understand the usage of the word receiving. Do you say "I am consistently receiving support from him"? Does it not sound wierd to you? You either say "I have consistently received support from him" or you say "I receive consistent support from him". Unless you use "has been", you cannot use receiving in the transitive sense. It is not correct. Hope this clears your doubt.

If you need some more help, let me know!

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:680

by sam2304 » Thu May 31, 2012 9:53 pm
ankita1709 wrote: B - have received intends the women are receiving it from the past still receiving, but are receiving changes the meaning - no need to change tense unless it is necessary - eliminate -- How do you know that they are receiving it from past, the sentence in commas is a modifier and I could not get anything about the tense of the sentence from it.
Because the actual sentences uses have received - have + past participle is present perfect.
present perfect implies an action that began in the past and continues till now. If you don't know to identify it, then learn it from any books. Here is a gist of the same words in different tenses, which will help you understand this question at least :)

receive - simple present - used in option D
received - simple past
will receive - simple future

is/are receiving - present continuous - used in Option B/E
was/were receiving - past continuous
will be receiving - future continuous

have received - present perfect - This is used in A and C
had received - past perfect
will have received - future perfect

has/have been receiving - present perfect continuous
had been receiving - past perfect continuous
will have been receiving - future perfect continuous
C - fine and better than A.-- How did you judge it is better than A. The only difference between two sentences is the possessive form
C is better than A for two reasons

1.There is nothing wrong with the meaning in the original sentence, then there is no need to change the tense. Give preference to original tense unless you are very sure that it is wrong or it is unnecessary. So C has precedence over A.
2.This again is a sort of preference, avoid possessive case altogether if there is a better choice or when its used with non living things. C is better in this case as well.

Learn to find which have more preference, where and why - you can crack SCs easily. Hope this helped.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.
https://gmatandbeyond.blogspot.in/