Help Needed. Please do evaluate the Profile

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Help Needed. Please do evaluate the Profile

by chargal » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:02 pm
Hello,

Have taken GMAT thrice but ended up with 630 for last one and 620 for the previous.

Background Info about me:

GMAT (630) - Q49, V27
TOEFEL - Yet to be taken
Nationality: Indian
Total Work Ex - 6 years
International Ex - 4 + years (In United States)
GRAD GPA - 3.3/4.0
Industry - IT
Awards from the Employer

Education:
Grad: BE (University 9th rank)

Extra Curricular Activities:
- Fund Raising Volunteer for India based NGO and Running for a cause in US for last 4 years
- Volunteer for an Adult Literacy Programme in US
- Involved in Technical Symposium/Paper Presentation Winner during Bachelor's Degree
- Organized Cultural events and Technical events during Grad.
- Involved in Cultural events in US - Dancing for Indian Festival

Initially my target was 700+ for GMAT and to hit on top-ranked schools. But with the present low score, I am kinda taking a step back and looking for optimistic target schools.

I am fine for US/UK/Europe and kinda OK for 1 year or 2 year, since I knew I have to compromise on certain criteria because of the low score

Please let me know what would be the target schools I can think of with the above profile. Any help is highly appreciated !!

Legendary Member
Followed by:90 members

by Tani » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:45 am
First, unless you have had a significant breakthrough in understanding, do not take the GMAT again. Schools' reactions will be that you are focusing on the wrong issues. Your time will be better spent identifying your career goals and looking for schools that can help you reach them.

I am sure you know that there are many more talented individuals from India with technical backgrounds and 700+ GMAT scores applying to top schools around the world than can be accepted. You will need to have a very persuasive essay set and clear goals as well as precise reasons for applying to the schools on your list. One approach is to identify several dream employers and then look at schools' placement statistics to see where those employers interview and hire.

European schools are more likely to have one year programs and will target people with more work experience than will those in the US. The choice of schools is likely to have an impact on where you work after graduation so you need to take that into account as well.

There are many fine schools around the world, schools that can give you the background you need for success in your career.

Good luck,
Tani Wolff