Help needed in deciding schools

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Help needed in deciding schools

by rd85 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:25 am
I am 24 years old and have 3 years (as of Sep 2009) in one of the world's top Indian IT consulting company. I have a Bachelors degree in Computer Science and Engineering with an aggregate of 75%. My 12th and 10th grade percentage was 80% each.

I have been working with GE (the client) for the same duration and have worked in their transportation and commercial finance business. I am currently working on a project which helps GE integrate the accquired portfolios into their business. I am Six Sigma Green Belt certified. Apart form day to day work (which i believe everyone does), I have been involved in various department level initiatives, viz. Fun-at-work initiatives, writing proposals and asset management besides helping my project lead in any possible way, be it in compliance, audit or team management related issues.

My domain of work is Finance (loans and leases to be precise).I do not have any international work-ex as of now. My post MBA goal is to get into a Management Consultancy or Strategic Marketing/Management related roles.

I have been, lately, involved with an NGO where I have been mentoring an under privileged kid and helping him with his studies. Creative art really fascinates me; I am really into sketching and photography and am working on a couple of photoessays as of now.

I need help in shortlisting schools(be it ambitious or in-reach) on the basis of my profile. Can anyone help/guide me in this regard? Since I am looking of a post MBA consulting profile, can you suggest schools with strong hold in the same? I can atleast wisely use the '5-free-schools-to-recieve-score' in my GMAT exam.

I know that there is a fee for such consultation. I am really sorry if I am going overboard by asking you this question as I really cannot afford the services provided by some really great consultancies here.

The schools which I am thinking of applying to are -

- Indian School Of Business
- Judge, Cambridge (still digging up info on this)
- Fuqua, Duke (Attended their session in Mumbai and got really interested in the same, also working on this)
- NUS, Singapore

Can you suggest some more schools which I can look into(safe, competetive and high-rated-but-can-give-it-a-shot )?

PS- Will be taking the GMAT on 1st Oct and considering that I score 700+, please guide accordingly.

Thanks in advance!!

by rd85 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:30 am
anyone :(

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:20 am
Dear Rajbir,

Most MBA programs have a curriculum that prepares graduates for consulting careers. You just need to determine from your research which schools have the stronger connections to the firms of interest to you. The schools you mention in your post are all fine choices. Until you know your GMAT score, you probably won't know how realistic any school is for you. You will be in an overrepresented pool, so it will be important for you to distinguish yourself from the competition. Likewise, your chances will be greater where your GMAT is above the average and selectivity is lower. Finally, you might use geography as a way to narrow down schools. Think about where you are willing (and not willing) to live when you finish and identify schools in that region.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

by rd85 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:26 am
Thanks for the suggestion.

I took the GMAT and scored a 660, Q47, V34, AWA 5.0. I took the GMAT again to try to get a score of more than 700 but ended up getting a 650 :(

I realize that this score would not be sufficient to get me into any of my shortlisted colleges. So, I thought I would go ahead with 660 and have submitted Emory Uni. Can you please suggest me some other schools which I can look forward to.

Or do you suggest me to try harder and get a score of more than 720-740 atleast and go for my previously shortlisted schools next year? Will taking the exam for the 3rd time be a concern for the adcoms?

Thanks in Advance.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:21 pm
Taking the GMAT 3 times will not be a negative, especially if your score increases. Waiting another year to have time to prepare and do more research on schools is certainly an option for you. If you don't want to wait and feel you need to be in business school by Sept 2010, then I would suggest targeting some schools with GMAT averages in the 630-660 range. Time is of the essence though as you will want to submit a quality application by R2 deadlines if possible.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

by rd85 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:30 am
I really appreciate your quick response. Thanks a ton.

I have shortlisted Imperial College, London and NUS, Singapore. How realistic would it be for me to apply to the following colleges -
Simon
McCombs
Tepper

They say that Caroll, Boston is good for consulting. What do you suggest?

Keeping into mind my short term goal to get into Strategy Consulting, can you suggest some schools in the bracket that you have mentioned? I realize that I am asking for too much but this would directly help me to focus on the program as I do not have much time left.

Also, how much emphasis is given on one's GMAT score while recruitment? May be its too early to ask but I do not want myself to get stuck in a position where I would have to compromise on my goals.

Looking forward to your reply. Thanks.