Help needed in deciding schools

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Help needed in deciding schools

by rd85 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:06 am
I am 24 years old and have 3 years (as of Sep 2009) in one of the world's top Indian IT consulting company. I have a Bachelors degree in Computer Science and Engineering with an aggregate of 75%.

I have been working with GE (the client) for the same duration and have worked in their transportation and commercial finance business. I am currently working on a project which helps GE integrate the accquired portfolios into their business. I am six sigma green belt certified. Apart form day to day work (which i believe everyone does), I have been involved in various department level initiatives, viz. Fun-at-work initiatives, writing proposals and asset management besides helping my project lead in any possible way, be it in compliance, audit or team management related issues.

My domain of work is Finance (loans and leases to be precise).I do not have any international work-ex as of now. My post MBA goal is to get into a Management Consultancy or Strategic Marketing/Management related roles.

I have been, lately, involved with an NGO where I have been mentoring an under privileged kid and helping him with his studies. Creative art really fascinates me; I am really into sketching and photography and am working on a couple of photoessays as of now.

I need help in shortlisting schools(be it ambitious or in-reach) on the basis of my profile. Can anyone help/guide me in this regard? Since I am looking of a post MBA consulting profile, can you suggest schools with strong hold in the same? I can atleast wisely use the '5-free-schools-to-recieve-score' in my GMAT exam.

I know that there is a fee for such consultation. I am really sorry if I am going overboard by asking you this question as I really cannot afford the services provided by some really great consultancies here.

The schools which I am thinking of applying to are -

- Indian School Of Business
- Judge, Cambridge (still digging up info on this)
- Fuqua, Duke (Attended their session in Mumbai and got really interested in the same, also working on this)

Can you suggest some more schools which I can look into?

Thanks in Advance!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:19 am
Dear Rajbir,

The three schools on your list currently are all appropriate choices for you based on your goals. Consulting is a common career goal for MBA students, so most programs will provide the education you need to excel in that career path. I would suggest looking at the placement profile for schools to see which ones are placing a decent number in consulting upon graduation. Ideally, you want to see 5% or greater entering the field to indicate a strong industry connection. You can also look for schools that have an experiential learning component as those are generally consulting projects. This would give you some exposure to what consulting is while in school--and something relevant to put on your resume.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me