Help me decide please!

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Help me decide please!

by minkathebest » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:44 am
Hello All,

Profile:
GPA: 3.1 (top 5 liberal arts school USA)
GMAT: 680 Overall: 85% (M: 73% and V: 81%)
Current occupation: 5 years, Technology Project Manager at a non-profit biotech, previously Senior Consultant at IBM Consulting
US Citizen

I applied this last year and got waitlisted at TUck. I received feedback from Tuck that advised to retake GMAT and I retook the GMAT (MGMAT private tutor and 1.5 month of studying) and got a 650. CRAP!

My options now:
I am still wait-listed on Tuck and now on their "reduced waiting list"
1) Retake GMAT in first or second week of August and reapply to schools next year. However, this means Tuck would have already made its decisions as their email indicated they will work on the reduced waiting list on mid-late July
2) Let Tuck know that I am done with GMAT and write another short essay about couple of recent work accomplishments. See if this gets me in.

Any thoughts?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:28 members

by Heidi Granner » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:14 pm
Hi minkathebest,

Thanks for your post. Sorry to hear that your GMAT re-take did not turn out improved - I know the waitlist situation is already difficult enough!

Given Tuck provided guidance that they will have an update in a couple weeks now, I think your only option is to respond that you did re-take the GMAT and unfortunately did not improve your score. You could mention that you believe that you can score better and are open to re-taking again. Tuck will appreciate that you spent the time and energy to re-take the test and it will also indicate to them that if you are accepted to the school you would attend. Also including an update on recent work accomplishments could be helpful.

In the meantime, I suggest starting to plan for submitting applications this year. A higher GMAT score will be important for the top schools, so that will likely mean re-taking the test. That said, reapplicants have a great chance of admission. At Booth reapplicants actually had a higher acceptance rate than first time applicants. So plenty of options left.

Good luck!

Best,
Heidi

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by minkathebest » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:41 pm
Thank you Heidi for you reply. This is really helpful advise and I really appreciate it.