HEC Paris Essays - Understanding the Questions

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi Admissions Experts,

Thanks for reading through my question. I wanted to start answering the HEC Paris essays, but ran into a confusion.

Here are the 2 questions from HEC Paris.

1. Please describe your immediate career goals following your MBA (200 words)

2. Why are you applying to the HEC MBA Program now? What is the professional objective that will guide your career choice after your MBA, and how will the HEC MBA contribute to the achievement of this objective? (500 words)

I am confused in answering the 2 questions. I understand that goals are less structured and objectives are very tangible.

But it feels like question 1 above is asking for what do you want to do post MBA...in a tangible format / it feels like it is asking for objectives.

The question 2 (highlighted portion) seems to be asking...what is your long term career guiding principle (but the question says objective...which is not the guiding principle but some tangible steps...such as getting a consulting job etc)...Thus the question is really asking for long term career goals......

Can you guide me in understnading the questions ? I feel like the first question is really asking for objectives ...although it says goals...and the second question is asking for goals ..although it says objectives. Am I interpreting the questions wrong ?

Thanks for your insight.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:31 members
GMAT Score:620

by Kaneisha Grayson » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:56 am
Hi Ajay7640!

I like your question, because it shows you are really committed to answering the prompt "in both letter and spirit." And yes, those essays are worded in a confusing way.

In my opinion:

#1 is asking you to name the overarching goals you have right after your MBA and to perhaps name one or two jobs/roles that would help you achieve those goals. An example would be, "Get hands-on experience managing a cross-functional team".

#2 is asking you to first convince the committee that NOW is the time for you to pursue your MBA (not next year, two years from now, or never). Then they want you to name ONE specific big professional goal OR important job that you eventually want. Then you talk about how that big goal or important job will be your lighthouse that guides your career choices after your MBA. For example, if my professional objective is to be the CEO of a consumer products business or my major goal is to transform the US cosmetics industry, my post-MBA career choices will be such that I am getting closer to that goal with each subsequent choice. You could actually name some of the kinds of career choices you would make to get closer to that goal. Then, discuss how the HEC MBA will help you achieve that goal (e.g. the classes, professors, students, extracurricular activities, resource centers, alumni, etc.)

I hope I was helpful!

Good luck!
Kaneisha
Harvard Business School MBA 2010, Harvard Kennedy School MPA 2010
Founder, The Art of Applying
Admissions Consulting for MBA, MPP, Joint Degrees, and Fellowships
https://theartofapplying.com

Want free advice that actually works? Sign up for my weekly MBA, MPP, and JD newsletter here: https://theartofapplying.com/newsletter/

My clients have earned over $3.1 million in fellowships from Harvard and other top MBA, MPP, and JD programs since 2010.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by ajay7640 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:46 am
Thank you ! Yes the questions use in appropriate word choices Goals / Objectives !

But I agree with you as to what they are asking for !