Healthcare Business Schools

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Healthcare Business Schools

by kenyan_sun » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:51 am
Hi Everyone,
Just had a small question regarding MBA Schools. I work in a hospital right now and I kind of like what I am doing and want to make it into a proper career. I was wondering if anyone knows of some good Business Schools for Healthcare programs. I am hoping to go towards the US and I have found a couple, but I simply wanted some more advice from somebody interested in the same.

Thanks

Dave

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by rajmirra » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:57 am
Hi

Richard Ivey Business school at London (Yes London in Canada) Ontario, Canada is a top ranked Canadian business school and is well recognized for MBA Health Sector Management.
https://www.ivey.uwo.ca/mba/programs/health.htm
Hope this helps you.

Good Luck
R

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by bbuisson » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:44 pm
Haas - Joint MBA/MPH...they have a concentration in Health Policy and Mngmt. not the easiest school to get into, but great joint program

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by jelt » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:44 am
Wharton has one too.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

UNC Kennan Flager

by youngandrestless » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:54 am
UNC has a good program with emphasis on healthcare.

by Dan_@_DukeEMBA » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:47 am
Duke has a strong health management concentration in its full-time program, as well as its Weekend and Global Executive formats.

Dan

by mbadrew » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:31 pm
I don't know what exactly you do in a hospital but I'm a registered nurse and I'm puruing an MBA in finance and management. If you analyze the structure of healthcare, finance and management are two of the strongest pillars that it stands on. In my opinion any B school will do with a combination of courses. San Francisco State University in California offers an MSBA in which you pick and choose the final 12 courses. This way you can select what is applicable to your professional advancement.

thanks
D

by mbadrew » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:57 am
Also check out Wharton school of business Doctorate program in healthcare administration. The admission requirements are the same as an MBA but with probably less bullshit. The Doctorate program will beat an MBA degree hands down.

thanks
D

by judrac » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:29 pm
i was wondering the same thing.

i'm in houston and am close to the texas medical center. i'm stuck in houston, or austin for grad school. in any case, it looks like u. of houston (clear lake campus), and baylor (yuck) are the only ones that have a health care administration specialty. that's mind boggling... unless there's something i'm not aware of, or am looking in the wrong place.

if anyone knows of a better option, please post.

by jelt » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:51 pm
I'd have to disagree. A DBA is taken for completely different reasons than an MBA. It is best suited for people interested in research; you will probably have little to no teamwork experience, for instance, which is a vital part of the MBA experience. Prospective employers may also question your career goals for pursuing a DBA rather than an MBA.

The DBA also has completely different requirements. Work experience is not necessary; professors' recommendations are crucial. For this reason, DBAs are usually not as competitive as MBAs where it comes to the job market.

Lastly, the DBA takes a LOT longer than the MBA. Not everyone is willing to spend that amount of time to get a degree that, unless you're into research, you very frankly will not need.
mbadrew wrote:Also check out Wharton school of business Doctorate program in healthcare administration. The admission requirements are the same as an MBA but with probably less bullshit. The Doctorate program will beat an MBA degree hands down.

thanks
D

more info

by kenyan_sun » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:11 am
Hi,
With regards to healthcare in Texas, I am applying to Rawls @ TT. It seems like a good school and has the dual certification of AUPHA and CAHME. I believe that people interested in the healthcare MBA aspect should look for this from their schools.

tks

by judrac » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:52 pm
thanks kenyan. i'll look into it.

the thing i was wondering was if i should go the dual mha/ mba route, or just get the mha. are you going for both, or an mba with electives in health care?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Sat May 03, 2008 7:24 pm
Hi Dave,

I need to throw another vote for Wharton. They have a fantastic Healthcare program. In addition to HC dedicated coursework, activities, conferences, clubs - the program has a very strong (and loyal) alumni base. I am always impressed with the Wharton HC network within the larger Wharton community.

Check it out! But either way, most top MBA programs have resources for students interested in healthcare.

Regards,

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

by emmamorgan » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:15 pm
CollegeAmerica has an amazing healthcare administration degree. I can totally vouch for it since I graduated from there recently with a Bachelors degree in Healthcare Administration. I found the program to be the perfect mix of theory and practical training and I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Followed by:1 members

by orrkaitlyn » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:33 pm
Wharton, Duke, Harvard, Kellogg -- in that order, perhaps