Guidance needed for selecting b-schools

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Guidance needed for selecting b-schools

by sridevipavan » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:23 pm
I took my GMAT recently and got a score of 640(Q48 V30 AWA 5.5).
I would like to know to which all b-schools(listed in the financial times rankings 2012) I can apply.

I also would like to know whether the top universities right away reject if your score is average or consider other aspects of the application such as profile, recos and essays.

I work with a renowned IT service company having close to 4 years of Work exp.
I am a trained singer in Indian Carnatic music.
I also play an instrument called Veena.

Can anyone please guide me on this.

Thanks,
sridevipavan

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:59 pm
By nature of the term 'average' I can definitely say that no school rejects you if your score is average. All schools consider other aspects of one's application. If they didn't then they would only accept based on one's GMAT score and that would not make for a diverse class. If schools wanted to have an avg gmat score of 760 - they could.

I would also advise that you do not apply to schools based on any rankings. At the most, use the rankings (all of them) to establish a threshold of schools that you wish to apply too. In say the top 20 b-schools, you'll consistently see them in the top 20 in all of the publications. Remember that each publication has different criteria for evaluating a school. You need to research each school to determine which one's you believe you fit with.
sridevipavan wrote:I took my GMAT recently and got a score of 640(Q48 V30 AWA 5.5).
I would like to know to which all b-schools(listed in the financial times rankings 2012) I can apply.

I also would like to know whether the top universities right away reject if your score is average or consider other aspects of the application such as profile, recos and essays.

I work with a renowned IT service company having close to 4 years of Work exp.
I am a trained singer in Indian Carnatic music.
I also play an instrument called Veena.

Can anyone please guide me on this.

Thanks,
sridevipavan
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by sridevipavan » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:40 am
Thanks a lot for your suggestion:-)
I am interested in Banking domain and would like to opt Finance as major.

Can you please let me know how do I evaluate a university that fits my criteria?
Also, please tell me how universities evaluate us.