GTown vs. UMD vs. NYU vs. Michigan: PLEASE HELP!

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I've gotten into Maryland's part-time MBA program and interviewed for Georgetown's Evening program earlier this week. I'm also applying to NYU's part-time program, as I could stay with my brother in New York on weekends.

That said, I live and work in downtown Baltimore and it's a 5 minute drive from both home and work to the University of Maryland's B-School campus in Baltimore. I'd have to commute at least 6-8 hours/week to Georgetown, factoring in group work and rush hour traffic. My biggest concern about Georgetown, having spoken with several students currently managing the commute from Baltimore, is my ability to fully immerse myself socially in the program. I'm also considering NYU, which might actually involve less total weekly travel time, but would take a serious hit on my life outside of work and school, and may have the same barriers to social immersion as Georgetown.

I'm aiming to change career paths - I graduated with a good GPA from a top-20 undergrad university in 2009, but the employment landscape at the time led me to a career in recruiting (absolutely not my passion). I plan on focusing all of my MBA elective coursework in Data and Business Analytics to get into a more analytical role.

So, I know that Georgetown has a strong reputation, but I do not like DC and would not want to live there after school, so I'm wondering if the reputation outside of DC would do much more for me than Maryland to make up for the three rough years of commuting.

Throwing a curve ball out there, I'm also considering Michigan's full-time program and I'm wondering if it makes sense to accrue the massive debt (Around $200,000 opportunity cost) that would result. Obviously, I know that Michigan gives me the best chance at a career change, but I also have a life in Baltimore that I'd potentially want to come back to, and I'm not sure that a Michigan MBA will go as far in Baltimore as one from UMD.

So, all things considered, between Maryland, Georgetown, NYU and Michigan, what makes the most sense for me?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by CPA2011 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:17 am
Firstly, I'm not expert. I'm making calculations similar to yours right now, although unfortunately for me, my easiest choice is an unranked school 2 hours away, and the other is a top 20 school 2.5 hours away (quitting work is not an option for me).

I would think that UMD grads in Baltimore are ubiquitous. However, UMD is ranked higher than Georgetown and would provide you an excellent quality of life (relatively speaking). I would think that if you are trying to eliminate something, Georgetown is the odd man out - not esepecially "elite" and also very far away.

NYU is another story. Huge sacrifice of your time, but extremely marketable name at a national level, and (I'm assuming) excellent networks.

The big question with NYU is, will being a commuter reduce the value of your degree due to your limited ability to network and attend social functions? That is a question that I've been asking myself regarding my school choices. If I'm going to miss out on 50% of the value of a top-MBA (the networking) then is it really a top-notch degree FOR ME specifically?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by BMoreMBA » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:35 am
Thanks for the reply! Perhaps you're right about Georgetown, but in most recent rankings, it's actually rated more highly than Maryland. Maryland seems to be slipping, while Georgetown is on the rise, but what I'm trying to determine is how much that will really matter outside of DC.

Your thoughts on missing out on 50% of the value of an MBA are mine exactly. With Maryland being right up the street from me, I feel as though I'd really be able to give 110% of my energy to getting everything possible out of the program. At NYU that will no doubt be more difficult, but I'm wondering if the bulk of networking goes on during weekends, when I'd be there. Three years of lost weekends would no doubt be tough, however, so I'd need to be at least 80% certain that it would be the right move.

Michigan, on the other hand, would no doubt provide me with tremendous opportunities to change career paths, but I just worry that I'd have to put the rest of my life on the back burner (girlfriend, family and friends in Baltimore).

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by CPA2011 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:13 am
Sorry, I guess I'm stuck in a 2012 rankings mindset or something, haha.

I forgot to address Michigan. That decision is a true crossroads and is substantively different than the other 3 choices - that will take some serious self-analysis. Your position is extremely similar to mine, although I've all but ruled out (there is still a sliver of chance) the possibility of fully committing to the best program I can get into. Partly because my current job/career-path is actually pretty close to what I want (I'm an assistant controller at a middle-market manufacturing company) - I'm just looking for that extra boost that will give me some additional security and marketability, as well as open up the academic realm in case I want to pursue teaching/PHD in the future.

Unfotunately, you are correct in that anything related to Baltimore will necessarily be back burnered if you go to Michigan. You can work out travel plans with the gf if your budgets and desires are adequate, may be difficult but I know folks who see their spouses only once every quarter. I'm married and own a house - so my calculations are little more complex in that respect, thankfully my wife and I are both against children for the forseeable future.

I've been asking myself this: Which path will allow me to reach my goals while wreaking the minimum amount of havoc on my personal and professional life? In my case, I don't need to drop everything and attend an elite school (though I still sometimes daydream). I don't want to work on Wallstreet, etc.. and I also don't want to lose 2 years of valuable experience in the accounting industry.

You can also consider trying to contact student ambassadors, or even professors, at your target schools and asking them their opinion (I'll be doing this). Some of them will be devout educationalists (the folks that worship education and ignore the fact that we all probably know multi-millionaires that have very unimpressive educations), but some of them will give you straightforward advice.