Greatest weakness: GENERALIZING

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
I am starting to see a trend in how I attack verbal problems. For some reason, whether it's a lack of time, concentration, or a means of cutting a corner, I have been caught generalizing the authors thoughts. As I've gone through both RC and CR study guides (MGMAT & CR Bible respectively) I have noticed that my biggest weakness has been generalizing the authors conclusion.

How do I stop doing this?

The answer seems easy enough. Read through it carefully. But, for some reason the time factor has not allowed me to consciously read carefully through passages at the pace I would normally read through. Is it ok to go back through a CR stimulus?

For some reason I am hoping someone would have the big red "Easy" button for me to push:/

Any ideas that might help aid?

Thank you all.

MBA Student
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmat740 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:30 am
Hey Hi,

I may not have the "easy" button for you but surely I can suggest you something.

I feel that for CR => Practice is the key. You first start working on your weakness. Try to get accuracy first and then start improving on your time. That's how I did and I did fairly good later on.

Hope this Helps

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Does The GMAT beat back? » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:27 pm
I sure dont mind practicing as I'm sure thats almost always 97% of the solution.

I've noticed that my mind is sometimes more focused on selecting what principle to use from my studies, rather than just logically selecting the best answer choice.

i.e. using the negation technique in assumption type CR problems. That has given me some trouble even thought conceptually the technique does not seem too daunting.

In the end this forum provides a great way to vent out frustrations whilst on the journey of our laborious studies!

Cheers!

MBA Student
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmat740 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:31 pm
In the end this forum provides a great way to vent out frustrations whilst on the journey of our laborious studies!
Yes indeed! But there are other useful resources as well. Assumption Questions are really tough nut at times,so nothing to panic. Use the proper techniques and you will surely improve.