Great Britain

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

Great Britain

by akhpad » Thu May 27, 2010 5:15 am
Source: Barron

In Great Britain, the problem of violence among spectators of soccer games has become more and more serious, with hardly a weekend passing without many arrested and many injured from among those who supposedly came to see a sport.

Many suggestions have been made to combat this problem, most of them involving the introduction of more restrictions on the freedom of the crowds. Increased police presence at all games, enclosing supporters of opposing teams in pens, preventing the two groups from coming into contact with each other, and the use of membership cards with photographs which must be presented in order to gain access, have all been tried.

What is needed now is a deterrent factor. Increased fines, Saturday afternoon detention centers, and even jail terms must be introduced speedily and rigorously, if we are going to solve this problem.

Which of the following if true, would most strengthen the present view of the writer?

A) The British Government has just passed legislation outlawing alcoholic drink to be sold at or brought into soccer matches
B) Last week there were 36 arrested and 50 injured in fighting among the top soccer matches. An increase of 25% over the figures for the previous week
C) The soccer clubs should do more to encourage families to attend their games by improving facilities and making special enclosures
D) Violence is on the increase at soccer matches and the authorities must get tougher
E) Closed-circuit television has been set-up to monitor trouble-making elements in the crowd

OA: B

I need explanation.

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by pradeepkaushal9518 » Thu May 27, 2010 5:38 am
i find that all the other option except B are without any fact and figure. those are general statements

A. alcohol but nothing on violence
B. action on violent public and injuries of fighters supports writer argument
C.suggestion on type of viewers but nothing on violence
D.no facts and figures
E.suggestions on camera installation

hence only B strengthen the argument

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by paes » Thu May 27, 2010 8:57 pm
I will go for D
D : authorities must get tougher -> it supports the decision to take the new deterrent factor.

B : is also looking strengthening the argument but in my view, d is looking better.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by jube » Fri May 28, 2010 1:59 am
"What is needed now is a deterrent factor." implies that the measures taken till now (like increased police presence etc.) haven't been effective. Thus a statement which shows that the present measures haven't been effective would support the need for a deterrent factor.

B does this.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by vikramveer » Fri May 28, 2010 2:50 am
Still not convinced with any of the option given.... I fail to understand even if option B gives the figures of present isint it possible that this might increase I mean who knows?? even after taking strong steps the violence still increases... D is a generic statement as said by pradeepkaushal9518... need to get a concrete reasoning...