GRE vs. GMAT

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

GRE vs. GMAT

by spiri27511 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:23 pm
I've noticed some schools accept either test score, has anyone here looked into the GRE? I imagine it's comparable otherwise the programs wouldn't allow it.....I'd be willing to try it but I feel like my studying 'foundation' is with the GMAT.

Thanks.

Community Manager
Followed by:27 members
GMAT Score:710

by dmateer25 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:59 pm
Check out the survey Eric posted that came from Kaplan.

https://www.beatthegmat.com/applicants-s ... 54662.html

by spiri27511 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:32 pm
Interesting, so if its perceived as an easier test why aren't people taking it? I suppose you're limited to the programs that accept the GRE, but like the article said, there are some top tier schools on that list.

Has anyone on here actually taken the GRE? After not doing as well as I would have hoped, I'm wondering if I should give the GRE a shot.

THey mention changes going into effect August 1, 2011, what happens if you take it before the changes go into effect? Is your score good for 5 years or would you have to re-take the new and improved test?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by vivecan2005 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:26 pm
spiri27511 wrote:I've noticed some schools accept either test score, has anyone here looked into the GRE? I imagine it's comparable otherwise the programs wouldn't allow it.....I'd be willing to try it but I feel like my studying 'foundation' is with the GMAT.

Thanks.
You are absolutely right. The Monopoly of GMAT is getting challenged because starting from this Fall a lot of B-Schools will start accepting GRE in lieu of GMAT score.

GRE definitely makes more sense than GMAT. It increases your glossary, improves your written expression, increases your verbal abilities at graduate level and makes written expression more mature and analytical. GMAT makes you fast math puzzle solver, great guesser. Also in some economics programs, Organizational Behavior programs and finance programs prefer GRE over GMAT. That's a great dilemma. Better take both and keep scores in back pocket. Use as per program and universitiy's preference.
Math of both will require same preparation. In verbal you have to work on 3500 word vocabulary and synonyms, antonyms etc.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:750

by arzanr » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:33 pm
I took the GRE in the fall (Q:800 V:580) and am taking the GMAT in 2 weeks. One thing is for sure, you really cannot say one is "easier" than the other. Although there are some similarities, they test many different areas. The verbal section in the GRE is basically a vocabulary test and as my score might show, my vocabulary is not the greatest. This doesn't mean my english is weak (I came to the US to attend undergrad and was placed in the English writing class for native English speakers and not the one for international students that most of my intl friends took). I just have a lousy memory which explains my low vocab skills. (I also must mention that my Verbal score was lower than even my expectations because I was so drained by the time that section came around). Anyway, the GMAT verbal section is much less focused on vocab and more on actual English comprehension and sentence construction skills which works great for me (scoring >90 percentile in practice tests so far). As far as quant goes, the GMAT does throw out more challenging questions than the GRE and overall I find the math questions on GMAT tougher than on the GRE. However, that doesn't mean the GRE is easier. If you're looking to get in to a top tier school in a quant focused field, you pretty much need to get 800 to give yourself a good chance. There's that much pressure to get the 800 since anything below that makes you less competitive. What I mean to say is that the GMAT offers you a little more wiggle room, anything above 700 is considered good. Get anything below 780 on the GRE quant and you can forget about that econ phd from MIT (in general).

If your school/program of choice accepts either, I say figure out where your skills are and which test works better. Maybe try doing a practice test for both and see which one you like better. One thing I've learnt though is that having done the GRE recently has really helped me get ready for the GMAT so if you want to take your chances at both it wouldn't add much additional effort - just like doing a dual degree n saving a couple of years of time than if you had done them separately.

Followed by:1 members

by vivecan2005 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:47 pm
But see one thing is clear that GRE makers don't waste damn time in developing most puzzling WRONG answers. I think money makes difference. 250$ GMAT keeps 80-100 dollars extra as compared to GRE (160-170) dollars. I also think, though I am not sure, that these 80-100 extra dollars are given to those unemployed PhD's to send resume to GMAC and be test maker at GMAC and apply whole efforts, techniques to develop 4 wrong choices. That doesn't happen with GRE because GRE makers don't spend time energy to get the title of "One of the toughest test" etc. GRE makers know what thier goal is and what they are testing in a candidate.

by spiri27511 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:29 am
Appreciate the input guys. Knowing myself and my GMAT history, I am much stronger on the verbal....it sounds like the GRE is heavier on the verbal side which could be in my favor. Regarding the practice tests for GRE, is there an official site (like MBA.com) that has online tests I could take? Also, is there an official list of schools that accept the GRE?

Final question, they are supposedly making the GRE harder....what happens if you take the test BEFORE the changes are made? Is your score invalid since it was earned on the easier version?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by gmat-10 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:44 am
go to the www.ets.org/gre

The biggest benefit for GRE is that it not only help you to get into MBA programs but is PREFERED for Business/Management/StrategyFinance/economics programs.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Followed by:13 members

by Dan@VinciaPrep » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:16 pm
Hello
I wrote an article on this subject a little while ago. In the article I compare the writing, verbal, and math sections plus I give a little bit of general information about the test. You can check it out at
https://fr.standardizedtests.org/content/gmat-vs-gre

Hope that helps!