GPREP SC- 6

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

GPREP SC- 6

by abhasjha » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:41 am
Although the first pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, to be sighted was in the summer of 1967 by graduate student Jocelyn Bell, it had not been announced until February, 1968.

(A) Although the first pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, to be sighted was in the summer of 1967 by graduate student Jocelyn Bell, it had not been announced until February, 1968.

(B) Although not announced until February, 1968, in the summer of 1967 graduate student Jocelyn Bell observed the first pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, to be sighted.

(C) Although observed by graduate student Jocelyn Bell in the summer of 1967, the discovery of the first sighted pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, had not been announced before February, 1968.

(D) The first pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, to be sighted was observed in the summer of 1967 by graduate student Jocelyn Bell, but the discovery was not announced until February, 1968.

(E) The first sighted pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, was not announced until February, 1968, while it was observed in the summer of 1967 by graduate student Jocelyn Bell

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:32 am
This question is testing MODIFIERS and MEANING.

(A) Although the first pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, to be sighted was in the summer of 1967 by graduate student Jocelyn Bell, it had not been announced until February, 1968.
"Although the first pulsar... was in the summer" doesn't make sense. We want to say that it was SIGHTED in 1967.
HAD NOT BEEN is an incorrect verb tense here - we can only use past perfect for actions taking place before some other action in the past. The announcement happened after the other events, not before.

(B) Although not announced until February, 1968, in the summer of 1967 graduate student Jocelyn Bell observed the first pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, to be sighted.
If a sentence begins with a past participle modifier like "announced," it needs to be followed with the noun that it is modifying. The correct structure would be, "Although not announced..., the pulsar was observed..."

(C) Although observed by graduate student Jocelyn Bell in the summer of 1967, the discovery of the first sighted pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, had not been announced before February, 1968.
"Although observed..., the discovery..." implies that the discovery was observed, not the pulsar.

(D) The first pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, to be sighted was observed in the summer of 1967 by graduate student Jocelyn Bell, but the discovery was not announced until February, 1968.
This contains correct modifier structure, and the meaning is clear. Correct.

(E) The first sighted pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, was not announced until February, 1968, while it was observed in the summer of 1967 by graduate student Jocelyn Bell
"While" here is ambiguous - it could mean "at the same time as," which would not make sense. The cause/effect structure is not as clear.
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

by ngk4mba3236 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:54 am
hi Verbal Experts,
I've a quick question on option A.

i think, the pronoun IT wrongly refers to the pulsar INSTEAD OF the discovery (of the pulsar) -- am i correct on this error ?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:24 am
ngk4mba3236 wrote:hi Verbal Experts,
I've a quick question on option A.

i think, the pronoun IT wrongly refers to the pulsar INSTEAD OF the discovery (of the pulsar) -- am i correct on this error ?
Yes.
The default referent for a subject pronoun is the preceding subject.
In A, it (subject pronoun) seems to refer to the first pulsar (the preceding subject), incorrectly conveying that the PULSAR had not been announced.
The intended meaning is that the DISCOVERY of the pulsar had not been announced.
Since the OA avoids this issue and is free of errors, eliminate A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by ngk4mba3236 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:01 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote: The default referent for a subject pronoun is the preceding subject.
is it always TRUE in GMAT ?

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:26 am
ngk4mba3236 wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote: The default referent for a subject pronoun is the preceding subject.
is it always TRUE in GMAT ?
This rule will generally hold true for the following cases:
SUBORDINATE CLAUSE + COMMA + INDEPENDENT CLAUSE WITH A SUBJECT PRONOUN
INDEPENDENT CLAUSE + COMMA + CONJUNCTION + INDEPENDENT CLAUSE WITH A SUBJECT PRONOUN
In these cases, the default referent for the subject pronoun in the second clause will be the subject of the first clause.

But there could certainly be exceptions.
Pronoun ambiguity should be considered a low-priority error.
Eliminate an answer choice with a potentially ambiguous pronoun only if an alternate answer choice avoids the ambiguity and is free of errors.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by ngk4mba3236 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:26 am
GMATGuruNY wrote: This rule will generally hold true for the following cases:
SUBORDINATE CLAUSE + COMMA + INDEPENDENT CLAUSE WITH A SUBJECT PRONOUN
INDEPENDENT CLAUSE + COMMA + CONJUNCTION + INDEPENDENT CLAUSE WITH A SUBJECT PRONOUN
In these cases, the default referent for the subject pronoun in the second clause will be the subject of the first clause.

But there could certainly be exceptions.
gmatguru,
thanks for the clarifications.

here, by first clause, i think you meant either the SUBORDINATE CLAUSE or the INDEPENDENT CLAUSE in the above two structures respectively. right ?

p.s: btw, will it be possible to shed some light on the exceptions scenarios that you referred to in your above quote ?

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:41 am
ngk4mba3236 wrote:here, by first clause, i think you meant either the SUBORDINATE CLAUSE or the INDEPENDENT CLAUSE in the above two structures respectively. right ?
Correct.
p.s: btw, will it be possible to shed some light on the exceptions scenarios that you referred to in your above quote ?
For examples of OAs in which a third-person pronoun does not serve to refer to a preceding subject, check my second the third posts here:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/parallel-str ... 83199.html

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3