gprep sc-4

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

gprep sc-4

by abhasjha » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:06 pm
Although no proof yet exists of electromagnetic fields generated by household appliances posing any health threat, mounting scientific evidence has convinced many experts that there is cause for concern.

(A) of electromagnetic fields generated by household appliances posing any health threat

(B) of electromagnetic fields generated by household appliances that pose any threat to health

(C) that electromagnetic fields generated by household appliances pose any threat to health

(D) that poses any threat to health from electromagnetic fields generated by household appliances

(E) for any health threat posed by electromagnetic fields generated by household appliances

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by TarunaSaini » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:52 am
C ?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:05 pm
HI abhasjha,

This is a really quirky SC; it's built on a few Style/Idiom rules and not much else. Most of the incorrect answers are written in a way that "sounds like how people talk." Rather than use individual rules to eliminate a couple of answers at a time, I had to look at all of the rules all at once to select the correct answer.

1) Idiom phrases: The phrases "...pose a threat to....." and "proof that" are what is needed in the context of this sentence. The tricky part about these phrases is that you might use these words in conversation in a different way. They actually combine with another general style rule on the GMAT.....

2) Active Voice: The correct answer to most SC questions uses the Active Voice (the noun comes "before" the verb). Since the noun that "poses a threat" is the "electromagnet fields", it's very likely that the noun ("electromagnetic fields") will come before the verb ("pose any threat").

The only answer that matches all of these rules is C.

For the record, the GMAT doesn't present that many SC prompts in this fashion. You might see 1-2 SCs on Test Day that are just based on "style/idiom/usage" rules, but seeing a prompt that offers nothing else to work with (verbs, pronouns, parallelism, etc.) is rare.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:32 pm
abhasjha wrote:Although no proof yet exists of electromagnetic fields generated by household appliances posing any health threat, mounting scientific evidence has convinced many experts that there is cause for concern.

(A) of electromagnetic fields generated by household appliances posing any health threat

(B) of electromagnetic fields generated by household appliances that pose any threat to health

(C) that electromagnetic fields generated by household appliances pose any threat to health

(D) that poses any threat to health from electromagnetic fields generated by household appliances

(E) for any health threat posed by electromagnetic fields generated by household appliances
A and B: Although no proof yet exists of electromagnetic fields
Not the intended meaning.
The question at hand is not whether there is proof of electromagnetic fields themselves but whether there is proof that electromagnetic fields POSE A THREAT.
Eliminate A and B.

D: Although no proof yet exists that poses any threat
Here, that poses any threat seems to refer to proof, implying that there is NO PROOF THAT POSES ANY THREAT.
Not the intended meaning.
The intended meaning is that there is no proof the ELECTROMAGNETIC FIELDS pose a threat.
Eliminate D.

E: Although no proof yet exists for any health threat
Here, for any health threat seems to refer to proof, but proof for is unidiomatic.
The correct idiom is X is proof OF Y.
Eliminate E.

The correct answer is C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3