GPA Question

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

GPA Question

by Karishma123 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:14 pm
thanks
Last edited by Karishma123 on Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by jkhousto » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:54 pm
Karishma123

Thanks very much for your posting. I was in a similar situation when I applied to business schools!

However, keep reminding yourself that your undergraduate GPA "is what it is." You cannot change it now. The best strategy is to focus on building up the other items in your application packages - the GMAT, professional stories and accomplishments, extracurricular activities, and recommendations. Your GMAT and work experience combined with the martial arts and dance accomplishments seem pretty solid. So, it appears you have done everything you could have to balance out the relatively weak GPA.

Also, many schools ask for the GPAs to be report by YEAR - not total. This is a very good way for the school to see the academic progress of a candidate, as opposed to just one statistic to sum up their entire undergraduate experience. Many an MBA tried to be premed and has the low freshman and/or sophomore year grades to show for it!
One thing you may also consider is using the optional essay to explain your GPA. If it was simply a matter of "learning the ropes" of college or finding your way in engineering, it may not be necessary. However, sometimes if there were personal extenuating circumstances such as a family emergency or health issues, this can really explain poor semester's worth of grades.

Lastly, if you are 100% committed to obtaining admissions to a business school next year, I would consider applying to a safety school. You are too late to apply Round 1, so it is difficult to gauge where you stand based on interview invitations.

I hope this helps and best of luck to you.
Jennifer
Jennifer Houston, MBA
Consultant
mbaMission

Our Mission is Your Mission

www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (14 individual school titles)
Visit the mbaMission Blog
Follow mbaMission on Twitter
Download the mbaMission Webinar, Demystifying the MBA Admissions Process