GPA ISSUE

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

GPA ISSUE

by sanchitsharma3 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:03 am
HI there

I am Sanchit Sharma from INDIA. I have finished my graduation in BBS ( Bachelor in Bushiness Studies ) from SHAHEED SUKHDEV COLLEGE OF BUSINESS STUDIES ( DELHI UNIVERSITY), The BEST under grad b-school in the country, but my issue is in such a competitive environment I have amassed 63% in my graduation (Highst was 75%). In my course there is percentage system not GPA so if i convert it to GPA its coming around 1, which I feel is not the correct indicator because the level of competition is tough and checking is strict.

Now please throw some light on how can I convey my case to universities?? and will they understand it?? also tell me is it better to do your graduation in easier courses from low level college to get good marks and good GPA???

please help

Thanking you in ADVANCE

WITH WARM REGARDS
SANCHIT

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:14 pm
Dear Sanchit,

Business schools understand the differences in grading systems in different countries and the differences in competitiveness for grades at different universities. I doubt your 63% converts to a 1.0 since you were awarded your degree and the highest marks awarded were 75%. To get a more accurate conversion, you might consider having it professional evaluated by a global credentialing service as most schools will honor the credentialing services evaluation or your transcript. It is not better to do easier courses at an easier school--it is best to do your best at whatever school you attend.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by sanchitsharma3 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:46 am
Dear Ma'am

Thanks a lot for your valuable insight, I will definitely get my score professionally
evaluated by a global credentialing service.

Thanks Again

With Warm Regards
Sanchit

Community Manager
Followed by:252 members

by papgust » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:02 pm
Hi Lisa,

In the undergrad school that i studied, there is a GPA system, but it is based on a scale of 10. Almost all b-schools asks for grades based on a scale of 4.

My question is do i need to consult the a global credentialing service to convert my GPA score to a scale of 4 or is this NOT needed at all?

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:24 am
Dear papgust,

If you believe you can do a fairly accurate conversion on your own, then you do not need to pay a credentialing service. Many business schools are quite familiar with a scale of 10, and some even have their own conversion tables for applicants. The key is ensuring the conversion to be close to accurate as it is usually not a simple conversion. In my experience, schools that used a scale of 10 tended to have the highest marks in the 7 or 8 range, which if directly converted to a 4.0 scale would give you something in the 2-3 range. In actuality, those marks are probably close to the 3.25-4 range.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

Community Manager
Followed by:252 members

by papgust » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:01 am
Hi Lisa,

That was a very quick response. Thank you.
Many business schools are quite familiar with a scale of 10, and some even have their own conversion tables for applicants.
Does it mean that i could just apply with a scale of 10 and then the universities themselves would convert the score with their own conversion tables? Or should i consult the university to which i'm applying for before i convert the score myself?

My GPA is 8.2 of 10. So, how i could convert this score very accurately? I feel that if i do it by myself, i may tend to overestimate or even underestimate an accurate converted score.

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:32 am
Most schools expect you to do the conversion, and some even specify that you do the conversion. However, there are some that do not and their applications reflect that. So, there are variances in terms of expectations. I think it is best for you to have a conversion done as it is likely you will have at least one school that will expect you to do the conversion. Check with your target schools and see what is specified in their applications--some might offer a conversion table for you.

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me