GPA In Difficult Major and Chances for Admission

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I graduated from a top 10 school with an undergrad computer engineering (electrical engineering & computer science) with a gpa of around 3.05. It was a difficult major and the average grades in our classes were a C+ and they were all graded on a curve. Also, I took extra non-engineering classes and did fine on them (I realized engineering was not for me). Do admissions committees look at schools with low grade inflation and difficult majors?

I will be taking the GMAT this year and am very confident I can score above 700 - looking at the practice tests. I have been working for a top consulting firm and I have been promoted and have great career progression. On top of that I have excellent extracurriculars both in college and after (officer roles) and I am starting my own non-profit.

Please let me know how I can improve my chances for admission to a top school (Wharton, Harvard, Chicago, Michigan). How will they look at my average GPA from a top school and how can I show that the other parts of my application are strong?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:25 pm
They will definitely view your GPA in context. They know that some schools are more challenging and believe me, a 3.5 from Stanford Engineering will not be viewed in the same way as a 3.5 from U of Arizona (no offense to Arizona grads, just an example).

There may also be an opportunity to shed additional light in the data forms or extra information sections of your application.

You sound like a strong candidate and I think you can succeed despite the slightly lower GPA.
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me