Got 710

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Got 710

by Due » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:48 am
Hello Fiends,

I had my G-Day today and got 710.
Any idea where is score stands in terms of shopping for top business schools.

Thanks fo your input.

Cheers!!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:255 members
GMAT Score:750

by Brian@VeritasPrep » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:06 pm
Congratulations, Due - that has to be a great feeling!

In terms of where you're now a competitive candidate, a lot will depend on you: your work experience, the way that you articulate your goals and what a business school has to offer you, your extracurricular, undergraduate, and volunteer experience, etc. - and that's a great thing. Your GMAT score won't be a reason for any school to deny you at this point (even at Stanford and a handful of other schools where your score falls just short of the lofty average, your score will ensure that they consider you as a candidate), and it may be a tipping point for some other top 20 schools to admit you over others (a lot of top 10-15 schools aim to get their average score just above 700 to demonstrate that they belong in that top school conversation).

The admissions consultants on the board may be able to analyze your candidacy along other dimensions and offer more advice, but just based on looking at your score, I'd say that the sky is the limit. Congratulations!
Brian Galvin
GMAT Instructor
Chief Academic Officer
Veritas Prep

Looking for GMAT practice questions? Try out the Veritas Prep Question Bank. Learn More.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Due » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:36 pm
Thanks a lot for that. Brian . Thanks for the reply.

I am looking forward to Harvad.
I am emplyed by Barclays Capital as a full time employee.
I have a total of 8 years of wok experience.
My undergraduate degree is from best collage in India.

flip side of my applicaion,my GPA is screwed up.

Any more inputs, Thanks a lot for that.

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:44 pm
I think it helps your case that you've been out of school for 8 years but scored a 710 on the GMAT. I wonder how much weight will be given to your GPA unless it's just dismal. I'm in the same boat though... and I'm aiming for your GMAT score!

Just keep in mind that there will be thousands of applicants with 710's with great GPA's so this will be where you need to make a case for yourself as to why Harvard should choose YOU!

Brian is spot on in saying that "Your GMAT score won't be a reason for any school to deny you"... think of this whole process like an amusement park.

- A 710 on the GMAT is your ticket of entry into the park.
- Now just because you've gotten into the park doesn't mean that the park is good. You have to like the park right? A whole host of components let you know if you like the park: how good are the rides, how good is the food, how good are the shows... etc etc.
- This is what the rest of your application is... once you're "in the park" all of the other things come into play.

Needless to say - a 710 is your ticket to play!
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members
GMAT Score:760

by harsh.champ » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:08 pm
First of all,congrats for scoring 710.
As for the low GPA thing,you can refer to this article:-
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2010/02/ ... art-4-of-4

Hope it helps. :)
It takes time and effort to explain, so if my comment helped you please press Thanks button :)

Just because something is hard doesn't mean you shouldn't try,it means you should just try harder.

"Keep Walking" - Johnny Walker :P