Got 690 (but low Q) - Should I declare it?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:690

Got 690 (but low Q) - Should I declare it?

by darfader » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:24 pm
Hi all,

[Sorry if this is in the wrong forum - newbie!]

I took the GMAT today. I was aiming for 700-710 but didn't quite get there:

Q: 42 (63rd percentile)
V: 42 (95th percentile)
T: 690 (88th percentile)

Though I'm happy with the verbal and total scores, I was really disappointed by the quantitative score. I always felt that maths was my strong point, and in GMATPrep tests I was repeatedly hitting the 90th percentile... what happened in the test room today, I don't quite know!

I'm now in a position where I don't know what to do with my GMAT results.

I'm not applying for an MBA right now, rather, I'm applying for MSc Finance courses at British universities / business schools, and so far I've not submitted a GMAT report to any of them. The majority of courses I've looked at (e.g. LSE, Cambridge / JBS, Bristol) state that submitting a GMAT score is helpful, but crucially is not required. I'm worried that by submitting my GMAT score, I would be contradicting my CV/resume which suggests I'm good with numbers - something that I believe is more valuable than verbal skills in finance courses!

I'm about to begin my third and final year of a computer science (includes an elective module in finance) undergraduate degree at a top 5 UK university. The amount of quantitative content is very high, and my module "options" particularly reflect that. My exam results last year put me at the top of a class of about 88 students. It's stuff like this that I'm really trying to plug in my applications, and I'm thinking the GMAT could contradict it.

What do you folks think I should do? Would a GMAT score benefit my applications, or would it be better to leave it out on the basis of the Q score? Maybe I could list the total score and percentile only on my applications (but no doubt some of the schools would ask for a copy of the official report).

I hope I'm not coming across as immodest or anything... I just want to paint the full picture in the hope that somebody can give some advice. Thanks a lot if you do! :)

- C

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:750

by LSB » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:18 pm
that's a tough one. I think I personally would not report it as the focus will be heavily on your Q score for a Fin M Sc.

But this is by no means a clearcut decision. Would be curious to hear other folks' opinion ...

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:680

by tendays2go » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:20 am
this is much tougher to answer than to answer "should india persist with its fab four batsmen" [ if u didnt get it, dont fume over it...it reflects my bad taste at humour]

considering that u r in for Fin. then it is indeed a bad score in Quants but when u say that ur UG results in maths put you on top in a class of 90 odd students and ur uni. is in top5 in UK..then i must say...that i feel..it will be superceded with ur results in ur UG deg.

otherwise 690 is a decent score but i'd have taken it again had i been looking for a fin degree, the reason being that my uni. in India was not even among top 30 :)

All the Best...Darfader