Good one

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Good one

by Shawshank » Thu May 06, 2010 9:31 am
Choi: All other factors being equal, children whose parents earned doctorates are more likely to earn a doctorate than children whose parents did not earn doctorates

Hart: But consider this: over 70 percentage of all doctorate holders do not have a parent that also holds a doctorate

Which of the following is the most accurate evaluation of Hart`s reply

A) It establishes that choi`s claim is an exaggeration
B) If true, it effectively demonstrates that choi`s claim cannot be accurate
C) It is consistent with choi`s claim
D) It proves alternate reasons for accepting Choi`s claim.
E) It mistakes what is necessary for an event with what is sufficient to determine that the event will occur.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Shawshank Redemtion -- Hope is still alive ...

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by rockeyb » Thu May 06, 2010 9:55 am
Shawshank wrote:Choi: All other factors being equal, children whose parents earned doctorates are more likely to earn a doctorate than children whose parents did not earn doctorates

Hart: But consider this: over 70 percentage of all doctorate holders do not have a parent that also holds a doctorate

E) It mistakes what is necessary for an event with what is sufficient to determine that the event will occur.
I think the answer should be C .

Choi: All other factors being equal, children whose parents earned doctorates are more likely to earn a doctorate than children whose parents did not earn doctorates

[Its not necessary that they will earn doctorate but the chances are high.]

Hart: But consider this: over 70 percentage of all doctorate holders do not have a parent that also holds a doctorate.

[7 out of 10 doctorate holders do not have a parent that also holds a doctorate that means 3 out of 10 do . And that is what Choi is saying .People who have parents as doctors are likely to holds a doctorate.]
"Know thyself" and "Nothing in excess"

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by sumanr84 » Thu May 06, 2010 10:08 am
nice explanation Rockey,

I knew this problem beforehand and I see that your explanation goes very much inline with OA..
I am on a break !!

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:710

by gmatmachoman » Thu May 06, 2010 10:35 am
rockeyb wrote:
Shawshank wrote:Choi: All other factors being equal, children whose parents earned doctorates are more likely to earn a doctorate than children whose parents did not earn doctorates

Hart: But consider this: over 70 percentage of all doctorate holders do not have a parent that also holds a doctorate.

[7 out of 10 doctorate holders do not have a parent that also holds a doctorate that means 3 out of 10 do . And that is what Choi is saying .People who have parents as doctors are likely to holds a doctorate.]
wonderful reply Pranab Bhai!!

Cheers..where is my quant material???

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by ansh.kumar » Sat May 08, 2010 5:02 am
hei , guys didn,t get this one how can it be consistent with chois claim. can u throw some light

Legendary Member

by kstv » Sat May 08, 2010 6:34 pm
IMO E.
It is not necessary that Doctorates will have Phd parentage but - All other things being equal , there is a likelyhood.
Hart statement starts with a ''But'' as he feels 70% is a very high % not consistent with a 'more likely'scenario. He ignores Choi's initial assumptiom.

Feels like I am flowing against the tide of opinions. Hope to be corrected.
Last edited by kstv on Sat May 08, 2010 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:640

by 2011mbaspirant » Sat May 08, 2010 9:00 pm
I agree with kstv and will go with E. Can we have an expert response to this one please?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by boysangur » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:33 pm
rockeyb wrote:

Hmm, I don't see it at all. Choi is not saying that people who have parents as doctors are likely to hold a doctorate, she is saying that they are MORE LIKELY to hold a doctorate than the others. This means that any given person with a doctorate is MORE LIKELY to have a parent who is also a doctor than not.

Hart replies that 7 out of 10 people do not have parents with a doctorate, compared to 3 who do, which is quite the opposite. How in the world is that consistent with Choi's claim?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by vijchid » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:52 pm
I will go with E as well.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:30 members

by Jen@VeritasPrep » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:00 am
This is a tricky one! Choi is talking about the likelihood of an INDIVIDUAL to do something, while Hart is talking about the statistics of a certain POPULATION. Think about this example:

All other things being equal, if I go to college in Boston, I am more likely to live in Boston than is someone who does not go to college in Boston.

Even if the total population of Boston is only 30% college students, the above statement could still be true.

Since the statements do not contradict each other, they are logically consistent. The wording in answer choice C is somewhat confusing, but statements do not have to make the SAME argument in order to be consistent; they merely have to coexist logically (that is, they cannot contradict each other).

Hope that helps!
Jen Rugani
GMAT Instructor, Veritas Prep
www.veritasprep.com

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Wed May 04, 2011 1:47 am
rockeyb wrote:

[7 out of 10 doctorate holders do not have a parent that also holds a doctorate that means 3 out of 10 do . And that is what Choi is saying .
People who have parents as doctors are likely to holds a doctorate
.]
The Bolded portion is where you are committing a mistake . They are more likely and not Only Loikely
I Seek Explanations Not Answers