goals essays

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

goals essays

by fadibassil » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:18 pm
Hello All,

I'm confused about something I couldn't find in any of the admissions advices. Should I follow the structure of hte goals essay question or I can come up with my own structure as long as I answer the question.
ex. Oxford essay 1 is Explain why you chose your current job. How do you hope to see your career developing over the next five years? How will an MBA assist you in the development of these ambitions?
I started my essay with my experience in entrepreneurship as a catchy paragraph.
Do I need to rewrite the essay to follow the "why the job , how the career will develop and how the mba will help" structure exactly and in order Or not?

thank you,

Fadi

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:68 members
GMAT Score:750

by Bryant@VeritasPrep » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:06 pm
There is no hard and fast rule on structure with the essays, but do remember that the bottom line is that you do indeed answer the question. It's ok to get creative or inventive with your answer, but if you do so at the expense of providing the core information they are looking for, it will be to your detriment. Short answer is, they are not looking for a formula, only the information in the question. Just make sure if you do get more creative, that you don't make it so convoluted that the committee has to infer what you are trying to say.
Bryant Michaels
MBA Admissions Consultant

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by fadibassil » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:35 am
Thank you Bryant for this insight.

Another perplexing thought Is whether putting joining a leadership development program as a direct goa post-MBAl detrimental to the goals essay. This is my true goal before moving into marketing especially as I am trying to switch careers.

Fadi

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:750

by Superduperstudent » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:04 pm
Hi Fadibassil,

It's important to answer the questions the essay question asks you, though the order is not set in stone. You can also add information other than what they are asking you for, but don't go too far off track.

You may be interested in my blog post on the subject at www.superduperstudent.com.

Good luck!
Go to www.superduperstudent.com for GMAT tutoring and MBA application support!