GMATPREP

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

GMATPREP

by prac » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:53 am
Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit preceded Madame Tuscan's work by 30 year, became well known as much because of having an eccentric personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.

(A)well known as much because of having an eccentric personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax
(B)well known as much for having an eccentric personality as for skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.
(C)well known as much because of her eccentric personality as she was for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.
(D)as well known for having an eccentric personality as having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.
(E)as well known for her eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.

difference betweeb B[spoiler] & E?[/spoiler] Experts please help. I have read the following post

https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/pat ... t1991.html
and still confused whether as .... as... is proper idiom and wellknown should come before as ?

I chose B because I thought that they are testing idiom

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Salman Ghaffar » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:57 am
Option B is of the form "She became well known as much for A as for B."

Option E is of the form "She became as well known for A as for B."

Both constructions as above are grammatically correct.

The problem with the original question's option B is the use of "having" to mean "possessing". Generally this is frowned upon. One might even argue that the construction "for having an eccentric personality" is actually passive voice.

Hence E is the best option.