GMATPREP JUST BEAT ME! GOT A 440 HELP!!! TEST IN 2 DAYS!!!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:540
I'm hoping that someone can give me some insight on what's going on. I've been studying for the GMAT for 6 Months. Non stop, Mon-Sun 6-8 hrs on the weekends and 3 hrs on the weekdays. I've gone thru the MGMAT books and did nearly all the OG's. I felt pretty comfortable with the OG questions, but felt that the Quantitative questions in MGMAT CATS were a little more difficult and time consuming. However after several MGMAT CATs, I became more comfortable and was able to get into a good flow.

The past 2-3 weeks my MGMAT CAT score looked like this:

MGMAT 1 - 560
MGMAT 2- 560
MGMAT 3 - 660
MGMAT 4 - 570
MGMAT 5 - 640
MGMAT 6 - 590

I just took the GMAT Prep1, saving the best for last and I just completely BOMBED. I got a 440! The questions seemed a lot harder than what I was accustomed too. It just had a different feel or vibe which I'm guessing threw me off.

Can anyone shed some light? I'm about to give up hope and just jump off a bridge! This is my 3rd time taking this stupid test. My last score was 540 4 years ago and I was not as committed back then as I am now. My test is in 2 days and I plan on taking GMAT Prep 2. All I want is a low to mid 600. I believe I have a really good background 10 years of Management in Healthcare. During those 10 years I owned a import/export company which I ran for about 3 years. Recently I have two internet start ups lined up for this summer to launch and I am also a active member of the Military Reserves.

Any advice?

Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members

by Night reader » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:40 am
you are gonna end up the same score, unless you put full stop on all your studying right now!

imagine you don't buy my advice and continue studying - OK ... then in two days don't complain if the score is mid to high 400-s.

you have studied enough and let it go, have a sleep, call your family, meet your friends, watch entertaining movie, do all except for touching GMAT

don't be afraid of forgetting the material

on the morning of the test, get up 1 hour earlier and warm yourself up by taking GMAT Prep again - not complete CAT, just the portion of it - the first 10-15 Math and 10-15 Verbal questions

don't calculate/report that GMAT-Prep drill CAT score

in exam - be very aggressive and expect any unbelievable PS or DS question

if you see very familiar question resembling OG - DON'T BUY it - this is trap

Buddy, I have my exam right in two days from now - and all I am gonna do is smoke an air till the 28th of March

we'll get in touch on Monday after exam

good luck
Simony104 wrote:I'm hoping that someone can give me some insight on what's going on. I've been studying for the GMAT for 6 Months. Non stop, Mon-Sun 6-8 hrs on the weekends and 3 hrs on the weekdays. I've gone thru the MGMAT books and did nearly all the OG's. I felt pretty comfortable with the OG questions, but felt that the Quantitative questions in MGMAT CATS were a little more difficult and time consuming. However after several MGMAT CATs, I became more comfortable and was able to get into a good flow.

The past 2-3 weeks my MGMAT CAT score looked like this:

MGMAT 1 - 560
MGMAT 2- 560
MGMAT 3 - 660
MGMAT 4 - 570
MGMAT 5 - 640
MGMAT 6 - 590

I just took the GMAT Prep1, saving the best for last and I just completely BOMBED. I got a 440! The questions seemed a lot harder than what I was accustomed too. It just had a different feel or vibe which I'm guessing threw me off.

Can anyone shed some light? I'm about to give up hope and just jump off a bridge! This is my 3rd time taking this stupid test. My last score was 540 4 years ago and I was not as committed back then as I am now. My test is in 2 days and I plan on taking GMAT Prep 2. All I want is a low to mid 600. I believe I have a really good background 10 years of Management in Healthcare. During those 10 years I owned a import/export company which I ran for about 3 years. Recently I have two internet start ups lined up for this summer to launch and I am also a active member of the Military Reserves.

Any advice?
My knowledge frontiers came to evolve the GMATPill's methods - the credited study means to boost the Verbal competence. I really like their videos, especially for RC, CR and SC. You do check their study methods at https://www.gmatpill.com

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by ankur.agrawal » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:58 am
Hey Guys best of luck to both of you :) MAy your wishes come true.

by Simony104 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:55 pm
Thanks Night reader for the advice. I'm taking the exam Monday and I'm definitely going to stop studying tomorrow to give myself a break. Unfortunately, I don't feel like I can do it today. When I took the GMATPREP everything looked so foreign to me. I'm going to practice the GMAT prep material and take 1 more GMATPREP CAT and cross my fingers.

Good luck on your exam!!!

by Simony104 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:26 pm
I got a 590 today! its not the score I wanted but at least its not as bad as a 440. The GMAT prep CAT is the closest predictor to the test but it doesn't come close. The problems I saw on the actual GMAT I saw today was much more easier and reasonable then the GMAT PREP CAT.

by jaygirl001 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:07 am
Yay! congratulatios on the score Simony 104. I am also dreading re-taking the GMAT. I have been practicing MGMAT CATS and my scores are in the 590-620 range. The last time I took the GMAT Prep (a week ago ), I scored a 590. Still, I am super scared to schedule the "actual" test. :(

What about you Night Reader, how was your test??