GMATPREP:Connotations

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

GMATPREP:Connotations

by zaarathelab » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:35 am
With an awareness that there are connotations associated with the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B, companies conducting consumer taste tests of foods or beverages typically choose numbers such as 697 or 483 to label the products.

A. With an awareness that there are connotations associated with the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B
B. Because the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B have connotations they are aware of
C. Because of an awareness of the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B having connotations
D. Aware of the connotations of the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B
E. Since the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B have connotations associated with them and they are aware of it

[spoiler]What is wrong with A? if there is a meaning error, then can somebody explain what can be the different meanings of WITH in a sentence. OA IS D[/spoiler]
Success = Max(Hardwork) + Min(Luck)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by BellTheGMAT » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:58 am
IMO D?? Its concise...
OA plz...

Legendary Member
Followed by:43 members
GMAT Score:640

by GmatKiss » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:43 am
IMO: D straight away! Others are ambiguous.

A is too wordy.

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by aspirant2011 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:28 am
zaarathelab wrote:With an awareness that there are connotations associated with the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B, companies conducting consumer taste tests of foods or beverages typically choose numbers such as 697 or 483 to label the products.

A. With an awareness that there are connotations associated with the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B ----- usage of with is wrong because company can't be with an awareness
B. Because the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B have connotations they are aware of
C. Because of an awareness of the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B having connotations ----possessiveness
D. Aware of the connotations of the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B
E. Since the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B have connotations associated with them and they are aware of it

[spoiler]What is wrong with A? if there is a meaning error, then can somebody explain what can be the different meanings of WITH in a sentence. OA IS D[/spoiler]

by zaarathelab » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:10 am
aspirant2011

I understand that 'with' has multiple meanings and can be used as an adverbial modifier after a comma. But how do we identify each meaning and usage?

Which of these sentences is/are incorrect? -

1. I come with an awareness that the GMAT can be conquered

2. I am aware of the fact that the GMAT can be conquered

3. I have no awareness of my mistakes

Legendary Member
Followed by:43 members
GMAT Score:640

by GmatKiss » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:15 am
Which of these sentences is/are incorrect? -

I am aware of the fact that the GMAT is conquirable :) - IMO (Please correct me if am wrong)

I am not aware of my mistakes

Regards,
GK

by zaarathelab » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:44 am
GmatKiss wrote:Which of these sentences is/are incorrect? -

I am aware of the fact that the GMAT is conquirable :) - IMO (Please correct me if am wrong)

I am not aware of my mistakes

Regards,
GK
Hi GK

The third one is actually correct. Took it from dictionary.com - he had no awareness of his mistakes

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by bnair » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:35 pm
my2 cents...I think between 1 & 2, 2 is the winner since verb > adjective > noun.

for the same reason, "can be conquered" sounds more appropriate than "is conquirable"

Between "I have no awareness of my mistakes" and "I am not aware of my mistakes", to me, "am aware" sounds better though I can't think of any apparent problem with "have" usage. However "he had no awareness of his mistakes" is something in the past,done and dusted, and guess should not be used to derive the statement "I have no awareness.."