GMAT Time Format: Finishing Early

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

GMAT Time Format: Finishing Early

by trumpet1184 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:05 am
Hello,

I have a question about the time format. If you finish a particular section early, do you have the option to move on immediately to the next section, or are you required to wait until the 60/75 minutes are up before advancing?

Also, if you finish a section early, can you leave the room to take an extended break until time runs out? If so, I might adjust my timing to allow for a longer break, since I seem to finish the quantitative section with time to spare.

Thank you for your time.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:790

by Toph@GMAT_REBOOT » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:50 am
You can finish the section early. I don't think you can take an extended break outside of the test room (I could be wrong). If I recall correctly (sorry, this wasn't my foremost focus when I was taking the exam), they lock the computer when you leave the room and the test is "on break." I don't know that the computer could be locked while the quant section is still in progress. You could definitely sit there relaxed while time on the quant section ran the entire 75 minutes. And then you could take your break. So you don't get the time outside of the room, but you do get the mental rest.

Also, if you're not getting 51s (you might be, I don't know), I wouldn't be focused on having a ton of time left. Use your time wisely.

Best of luck.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:15 members

by VP_Jim » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:02 am
I cannot agree enough with the above advice - do not finish early unless you're scoring 99th percentile. Spend that extra time to check your work, read more carefully, or whatever. There is no point leaving time on the table.

If you do finish early, you CAN move directly on to the next section (not recommended), but you CANNOT get extra time on that section, nor can you get extra time on the break.

So, even if you finish quant in 15 minutes, your break will still be 10 minutes (unless, as mentioned above, you just sit there on the last quant question and rest your mind but not leave the room) and you'll still only get 75 minutes for verbal.
Jim S. | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:55 members
GMAT Score:760

by myohmy » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:27 am
I *loved* that you could finish early, because I'm a quick test taker (always have been) and because the GMAT is adaptive, you can't go back and correct previous answers.

I tried to take my time, but I've never been good at checking my answers, and usually once I'm done, I like to move on. So I liked that (unlike during the SAT), I didn't have to sit for 45 minutes staring at my paper and not changing anything.

I may be a weird case though.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:15 members

by VP_Jim » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:53 am
Note that myohmy DID score in the 99th percentile, so s/he has the right to finish early. :)
Jim S. | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by trumpet1184 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:37 am
Riprop, VP_Jim, and myohmy,

Thank you all for your input. I find this information very helpful, because it helps me understand that not everyone in the room may work at the same pace. I'll be ready for that scenario come test day next Saturday, August 1.