GMAT THIS SATURDAY quant help.

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:540

GMAT THIS SATURDAY quant help.

by Perminology » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:29 pm
So quant was always an area of weakness for me. For the past month, I made a study schedule that was heavily quant focused. I used all MGMAT quant books, OG, and Veritas Prep question banks. So far my highest raw quant score has been 38 after all the study. It only increased by about 5-8 raw points. Any suggestions before test day? I find myself getting into trouble with algebraic translations more than anything.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:760

by cbenk121 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:32 pm
Perminology wrote:So quant was always an area of weakness for me. For the past month, I made a study schedule that was heavily quant focused. I used all MGMAT quant books, OG, and Veritas Prep question banks. So far my highest raw quant score has been 38 after all the study. It only increased by about 5-8 raw points. Any suggestions before test day? I find myself getting into trouble with algebraic translations more than anything.
Congrats, that's a significant improvement! When you say algebraic translations, you mean setting up an equation from a word problem? If so, that can be improved by simply READING CAREFULLY. Consider this:

The number of stamps that Kaye and Alberto had were in the ratio 5:3, respectively. After Kaye gave Alberto 10 of her stamps, the ratio of the number Kaye had to the number Alberto had was 7:5. As a result of this gift, Kaye had how many more stamps than Alberto?

How would you translate this to a numerical equation?

The first sentence can be translated to "5x / 3x", where "x" is an unknown value. We need a variable because the problem doesn't tell you how many stamps Kaye or Alberto has.

The second sentence modifies our equation to "5x - 10 / 3x + 10 = 7 / 5". After Kaye gives away 10 stamps, and Alberto receives 10 stamps, the NEW ratio of stamps equals 7/5.

The normal thing to do now would be solve for x. However, we're not asked to find x. We're asked for the difference between Kaye and Alberto AFTER the stamp exchange. So we want to find Kaye - Alberto = (5x-10) - (3x+10) = 2x - 20.

25x - 50 = 21x + 70 --> 4x = 120 --> x = 30 --> 2(30) - 20 = 40

...if you can follow this, then you can crush almost all word translations on GMAT.

by Perminology » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:59 am
Thanks cbenk121 for the encouraging words and the example. I am however familiar with those types of questions. I can do simple permutations and combinations but the more advanced stuff, i.e. combining combinations with probability is so over my head I haven't bothered with it. Focus on your strengths right?

I have to admit I am getting the before test jitters and putting lots of pressure on myself. Any suggestions? Lots of people posted that they didn't study at all the day before and just relaxed, hung out with friends and kept the GMAT off their minds. What did you do? The advice from a 760 scorer would definitely be appreciated and beneficial. Cheers.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:700

by nittanylion530 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:46 am
Perminology,
Can you share an overview of your Quant study schedule? That's my area of weakness as well and I'm trying to set up a study schedule for it.

Thanks in advance.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Sally222 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:17 pm
cbenk --

I was with you up until this part "So we want to find Kaye - Alberto = (5x-10) - (3x+10) = 2x - 20. "

After that I got totally lost. You stopped explaining the steps!

I am in the same boat as the OP. I understand it after someone explains it to me, but I can't come up with it on my own. Often I can solve the problem using arithmetic. But for the problems that are more complicated, I just don't think of things in terms of algebra.

by Perminology » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:17 pm
7/5= (5x-10)/(3x+10)
Is the new ratio. So cross multiply because we have to find "x" to find out how much the difference is between Kanye and Alberto. Therefore
25x-50=21x+70
4x=120
x=30

Then as cbenk said, substitute this value into the equation that shows the difference between Kanye and Alberto which is 2x-20
2(30)-20 = 40

by cbenk121 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:09 pm
Perminology wrote:Thanks cbenk121 for the encouraging words and the example. I am however familiar with those types of questions. I can do simple permutations and combinations but the more advanced stuff, i.e. combining combinations with probability is so over my head I haven't bothered with it. Focus on your strengths right?

I have to admit I am getting the before test jitters and putting lots of pressure on myself. Any suggestions? Lots of people posted that they didn't study at all the day before and just relaxed, hung out with friends and kept the GMAT off their minds. What did you do? The advice from a 760 scorer would definitely be appreciated and beneficial. Cheers.
Ok, let me reveal the following fact: "simple" permutations and combinations are AS COMPLICATED AS THEY GET ON THE GMAT. While it's true the MGMAT CATS up the "complex" factor on these questions, the truth is these questions are unrepresentative of GMAT questions.

So if you can solve the following problem, from a GMAT Prep test, you have got permutations and combinations. How's THAT for boosting confidence?

"A restaurant wants to open new four new restaurants from a total of 12 different candidate sites. How many ways can the restaurant open four new restaurants, if the order doesn't matter?" (The answer is 495 btw)

I absolutely agree not to study the day before. I just ran through my flash cards once. However, I also went through the "I just beat the GMAT" forum, and copied stories from various people. I picked out stories where people got better scores than they were getting on their practice tests. I printed these stories off, and then read through them the night before my test, highlighting various portions that seemed relevant to me, or beliefs I wanted to adopt.

Finally, I also printed off EVERY math problem from my last two practice tests, because I was feeling jittery in math. I went through every problem, and in my head (or on paper) re-solved the problem. An hour later, I felt VERY confident in math, because I was able to re-solve every problem correctly.

To further soothe the jitters, go check out the following on Friday:

1) The test center location
2) Parking for the test center
3) Where you're going to eat out before the test (if applicable, maybe you'll just eat at home).

You want to basically be on autopilot on test day until you get into the test - minimize stresses. I'd also recommend having sleep aids on hand (in case you can't fall asleep the night before), and caffeine pills (in case you are drowsy the morning of the test).

If you'd like more info, browse through the forums for posts by TestLuv - he has lots of ideas on how to get into a positive state of mind in the last few days before the test.

Good luck!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Sally222 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:55 am
Finally, I also printed off EVERY math problem from my last two practice tests, because I was feeling jittery in math. I went through every problem, and in my head (or on paper) re-solved the problem. An hour later, I felt VERY confident in math, because I was able to re-solve every problem correctly.
Um, isn't that studying?

Also, I personally would stay away from the sleeping pills and caffiene pills... but to each their own! I definitely wouldn't take either unless it's something you're used to doing and you know what the effect would be on you.

by cbenk121 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:36 pm
Sally222 wrote:
Um, isn't that studying?

Also, I personally would stay away from the sleeping pills and caffiene pills... but to each their own! I definitely wouldn't take either unless it's something you're used to doing and you know what the effect would be on you.
There's a difference, in my opinion, between studying problems you've already solved, and studying NEW PROBLEMS. I think there's a strong temptation to do the later, to try and cram in new concepts before the GMAT. So while I did "study", it was really more about boosting confidence than trying to learn new things.

And you're right, I knew myself and how caffeine would affect me. I did not know how sleeping pills would affect me however, so I took a chance given the tough situation I found myself in. My suggestion is to minimize stresses by having the pills on hand in case something goes wrong. If it doesn't go wrong (i.e. you fall asleep fine), then you probably helped yourself fall asleep by just knowing sleep relief was within arm's reach, in case you couldn't fall asleep.

by Perminology » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:38 pm
cbenk121 wrote:
"A restaurant wants to open new four new restaurants from a total of 12 different candidate sites. How many ways can the restaurant open four new restaurants, if the order doesn't matter?" (The answer is 495 btw)
12!/4!*8!

MGMAT's combinatorics= much harder agreed. Thanks for the words cbenk. Always appreciated. I'm going for my second round of the test either during the last week of december, or the first week of Jan. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks!