GMAT Strategy Preparation

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

GMAT Strategy Preparation

by caroleta » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Hello Stacey,

Thank you for answering my PM and for helping me to build a new strategy in order to improve my score. It's been almost a month since I explained my situation to you, so here the highlights:

I've been studying for almost 10 months and I am having serious problems to improve my score. I've done the GMAT twice. The first time I did the GMAT I didn't have enough preparation and I really push it too much thinking I was going to do well in a "simple" test by just doing some problems. Very stubborn of my part.
In order to do the test again, I prepared myself very well during the last winter, studying by myself and with a friend who is very good in math (my main issue at that time).

On my second GMAT I got 490. On the practice tests I was scoring between 580-650 and I did all the exercises from the OG 10th and 12th Edition getting 80% on everything, so of course I was very disappointed with the 490. This score difference between my practice tests and my real GMAT makes me think that I already have the knowledge in my head, so maybe the strategy of doing and doing exercises from my books is not working anymore.

One of your advices is to take a MGMAT practice test under full official conditions (including the essays), and then analyze my results using this article. https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2009/09/ ... tice-tests

What if I do the 1st test without timing? I am not saying I am going to spend an entire day solving it, but I think it would help to see if the problem is with knowledge, with managing the time during the test or even something to do with stamina. I won't spend more than 2min30seg in each question. My analysis here is that if at the end I get a good score, then we'll know the problem is not with knowledge and I will have to work more on managing the time per question. What do you think? Is it a bad idea at all?

I am applying for an MSc in Administration, not an MBA and I am not applying to a top 10 business school. The requirement is at least 550 and even if it sounds that I've given up, after all that I've done in almost 1 year to beat the GMAT, I honestly will be more than happy with 560-600. My 1st language is not English. Lately I'm getting the feeling that this test is bigger than me and I'm getting tired. A month ago I took a CAT practice test and I got 480.
It's been a month since I haven't touched my books, so I'm planning to do some exercises to warm up and do a MGMAT test in 4 days.

I hope to hear from you soon,
Thank you ,

Carol

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:74 members
GMAT Score:770

by Whitney Garner » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:07 pm
Hi Carol!

I would definitely agree with Stacey's recommendation to take a complete test (essays included) under official conditions and then use those results as a kick-off to the next stage of your review. Underlying content knowledge is extremely important, but it is also essential to understand what happened between your practice tests and your official scores. From the results of a complete test, you can then begin to assess weaknesses:

1. Which questions did you take the longest on - did you get them right?
2. Which questions did you complete quickly?
3. Are there question types that you consistently answer correctly?

Then you can focus your content practice on the Official guides (both the big OG and the thinner Verbal and Quant books) and the review of your practice test questions. Don't forget that the review is often more valuable that the first time you work through the problem. Make sure that you're not just checking your answers, but ensuring that you've taken the time to completely understand the following about every problem:
  • Quant:
    - the question type (i.e. primes, percents, exponents, Rate)
    - the "best" method to solve (i.e. D=RT chart, smart numbers)
    - a back-up method if you get stuck (i.e. picking numbers)
    - typical traps in that problem type (i.e. using the wrong base for percent change)

Verbal:
    - a complete understanding of why each WRONG answer was wrong (process of elimination is going to be your best friend on the exam)
    - what makes the right answer a "typical" right answer (i.e. SC: in the battle between repeating the noun and using a pronoun, the test favors the less ambiguous repetition of the noun)
    - typical traps (i.e. Extreme language in General RC questions)
Just try the exam fresh, full time limits and all sections, and see where you need to start. From there, you can make educated decisions regarding areas of strength and weakness as they relate to this exam. Content and timing are equally important, so get a new benchmark to see where you stand on both of these.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!!
:D
Whit
Whitney Garner
GMAT Instructor & Instructor Developer
Manhattan Prep

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Math is a lot like love - a simple idea that can easily get complicated :)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:10 am
FYI: I'm no longer participating on the forums (though I do still write articles for BTG). For future reference, please contact Ron Purewal and/or Whitney Garner for any MGMAT help on the BTG forums.

It has been a long time since you posted and you didn't post a follow-up with test scores, so I'll just mention a couple of things. If you want to discuss further, please PM Whit or Ron with the link to this thread. (Whit is taking over for me, so she's expecting to hear from people who were discussing things with me!)

You ask whether you can take the test untimed. I STRONGLY encourage you to take the test timed. The point of taking the test is to figure out what your strengths and weaknesses are. That data will be impossible to get if you don't take the test timed. In understand your reasoning above, but taking the test under non-official conditions will not actually get you the data that you want.

You can figure out (using that article I gave you) what you need to figure out by taking a timed test under normal testing conditions - I promise! And that is the best way to figure it out. :)

Good luck with everything - I hope you get the score that you want!!
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me