GMAT Simulations- Need help!

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

GMAT Simulations- Need help!

by jimmy23 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:48 pm
Hey,
I have read that I can take each of the 2 GmatPrep simulations 2-3 times, without getting the same questions twice. Meaning that I actually have 4-6 official simulations!!!
Is this true?
In addition, I Googled and found that there are several companies that offer their own GMAT simulations:

1. PrepWizard.com
2. 800Score.com
3. catprep.com
Do you know them? Can you tell me which one are better?
Thank you :)

by black_cat » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:11 am
Jimmy23, I haven't done the GMATPrep simulations yet (starting them this weekend), but I have completed two of the five tests from 800score.com. I haven't been all that happy with those tests. Some of the questions just seemed ridiculous to me and I don't know how closely they mirror actual GMAT questions. (On one of the critical reasoning questions, in particular, I strongly disagree with the answer choice they said was correct.) In some of the questions I found a grammatical error or typo, so that makes me wonder about the quality of their questions. I think I'll have a more accurate opinion of the 800score.com practice tests after I can compare them to GMATPrep.

by black_cat » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:24 am
Okay, I just finished my first GMATPrep test and am feeling really good about it. I scored a 580, which I'm actually quite happy with as a starting point. The math section seemed very reasonable to me, and of the questions I got wrong, I made small, stupid mistakes on many of them, so my score could have been much higher.

I really liked the GMATPrep and am trying one of the Manhattan tests tomorrow. My goal is to take 10 full practice exams before the real one. (Yuck!!!)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by adi » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:56 pm
I'm in the same boat as you two.

I've taken on GMATPrep test so far.

What are some other free test we can take? Is the Manhattan test free?

If possible, could someone please post the most credible free practice test apart from the GMATPrep one?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by raveh » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:22 pm
NO doubt that the "real thing" is GMATPrep.
These official simulations are 1 to 1 like the real thing.
I still havent taken the test but my dear beautiful girlfriend did, so I know it for sure.
As you said (Jimmy23), each test can be taken more than once!
I was recommended to take each of the two official simulations twice.
Since it is an adaptive algorithm, and the questions that you get are taken from a large question bank according to your performance, you can take the same test twice, without getting the same question more than once.

What black_cat posted is very close to what I've heard about 800Score so far. So, I guess that what I've heard is true...

I'm going to check PrepWizard, and Crack-Gmat. they have free demos 8)

I believe that the only way to practice is by taking high quality computer simulations with good explanations before the actual test. reading theoretical bla bla, is not working for me.
I plan to take as many as computer simulations as I can. At least 15.

BTW, Kaplan, Manhattan and a few other companies that have frontal courses, have their own computer simulations, but as far as I know these simulations are available only for their class students.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by fishee27 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:52 pm
Just to give my two cents, Kaplan, Manhattan GMAT, and Princeton Review each have one free GMAT practice test (CAT simulations) on their respective websites. If you want to get more practice, you will need to purchase additional tests from these test prep services.

I personally recommend doing the GMATPrep software once towards the beginning of your preparation, and a few times towards the end. This should give you a good gauge of how you're doing and what your actual score will be close to.

I've been working on the Manhattan GMAT practice tests (6 practice tests for $39) and they've been extremely helpful. The quant is a bit wordier and harder than the actual GMAT questions, but it's still good practice.

by blue_lotus » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:11 am
Online free CAT are available of the following:
1. Manhattan GMAT
2. Kaplan
3. Princeton
4. Powerprep ( 2 test, this is old test before GMAT PREP)
5. GMATPREP (2 test, you can give this test multiple times, but many questions will start to repeat)

You can purchase
1.Kaplan premier 2008 book comes with (4 tests), there is monthly sectional online tests called blue and green tests with comes with it
2.Princeton book comes with 4 tests
3. Manhattan any book you purchase (6 tests , these can be repeated same like GMAT Prep)
Also you can purchase or get based on book purchased monthly section tests on SC,RC etc

The above mentioned are the reliable and must do.
There are lots available from
1.crackgmat
2.Arcos
3.cambridge
4. 800score
5. GMAT club etc
..there are lots more

Scorewise most accurate is GMAT PREP. Next best is Manhattan GMAT .Kaplan scoring is bad. Third best is powerprep
,it is compartively easier.

I would suggest you to do all free online cat available above. Buy Kaplan premier 2008 book ( contains CD with 4 test)
And Buy any one Manhattan book (6 Online test) . Manhattan Sentence correction is the best. With any book you will get the same
Set of 6 tests.

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:25 pm
as always excellent reply blue-lotus, :)

check out beginners guide to GMAT strat... might help...

https://jc-gmat.blocked/search/labe ... s%20choice

by gmat765 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:08 pm
I know 800score, not heard of other two