GMAT Scratch Pad Help - 1 week to go

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

GMAT Scratch Pad Help - 1 week to go

by tihor » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:30 am
Hi -

Is the scratch pad erasable? Do we get as many as we need? I we dont get as many as we need, is it a pain getting more?

Thanks.

Site Admin
Followed by:550 members
GMAT Score:770

by DanaJ » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:03 am
The scratch pad is actually something like 10 sheets of laminated paper. It is erasable and you will have problems with it if you're a lefty, but that won't be such a big deal. You can get as many pads/pens as you like. You just have to raise your hand for the proctor.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:680

by 4seasoncentre » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:26 pm
Yes, it is erasable in the sense you can smudge stuff out with your finger, but if you are doing that a lot you will be a big mess. So smudge for small things, otherwise, just start over.

You will need to be mostly done with your noteboard before you can ask for a new one, so when your at page 9 and a half, raise your hand and motion to the proctor that you want a new noteboard. You can continue with the test until he/she gives you one.

But you will have to be trade in the old noteboard so don't ask for a new one when you have info you need on the old one.

scratch paper

by tihor » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:28 pm
DanaJ wrote:The scratch pad is actually something like 10 sheets of laminated paper. It is erasable and you will have problems with it if you're a lefty, but that won't be such a big deal. You can get as many pads/pens as you like. You just have to raise your hand for the proctor.
Ok so I gave the GMAT, scored a 700 with 95th percentile Verbal and 67th percentile Math.

I got nervous during the Math section, but more importantly, I had tremendous problems getting my scratch paper replenished. The proctor was not paying attention, and I had to resort to throwing the cap of my pen at his glass cubicle once out of the three times I needed new scratch paper.

Anyway, not sure where to go from here... I need to improve my math, not get nervous, etc.

Any suggestions on how to prepare? I have gone through Manhattan and OG so far.

Thanks...

Site Admin
Followed by:550 members
GMAT Score:770

by DanaJ » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:29 pm
I think your best bet is to devote most of your time to weaknesses, with a little bit of practice for verbal as well.

I understand that the MGMAT series does a good job for quant. Did you use them properly, i.e. with solid review of concepts? Sometimes, when we're hit with a ton of info, we tend to not spend enough time on processing it.

Were you dissatisfied with MGMAT's approach? Then maybe you should consider buying another strategy book - like the Kaplan Math Workout.

In the end, you should have a book/a series at your hand for concepts and also buy the OG quant for more official practice. If you feel you can't remember the answers to the quant portion in the OG 12, you could just review that one. That is, as along as you feel that you are using your skills to solve a question and not your memory.

I also suggest browsing this forum for problems related to your weaknesses in quant. You can use the search function, using keywords such as "permutation" or "circle" to get some targeted practice with answers/explanations provided by forum members.

by tihor » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:56 am
DanaJ wrote:I think your best bet is to devote most of your time to weaknesses, with a little bit of practice for verbal as well.

I understand that the MGMAT series does a good job for quant. Did you use them properly, i.e. with solid review of concepts? Sometimes, when we're hit with a ton of info, we tend to not spend enough time on processing it.

Were you dissatisfied with MGMAT's approach? Then maybe you should consider buying another strategy book - like the Kaplan Math Workout.

In the end, you should have a book/a series at your hand for concepts and also buy the OG quant for more official practice. If you feel you can't remember the answers to the quant portion in the OG 12, you could just review that one. That is, as along as you feel that you are using your skills to solve a question and not your memory.

I also suggest browsing this forum for problems related to your weaknesses in quant. You can use the search function, using keywords such as "permutation" or "circle" to get some targeted practice with answers/explanations provided by forum members.
I think MGMAT is good, I do not think I practiced enough to face the test confidently. I guess I will go back and practice OG/MGMAT and maybe Kaplan too.

Thanks for your help...