GMAT re-take - verbal strategies

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

GMAT re-take - verbal strategies

by m&m » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:45 am
I wrote the GMAT on Sept 30, scored a 680 (49Q and 34V)-6 AWA. I took some time off and I'm planning to go back and re-write.

The test itself went ok, I was very ANXIOUS before the test - couldn't eat, had to piss every 10 mins, etc. I tried to channel the increased anxiety to help me move quickly and methodically. I started getting "antsy" during verbal - I knew I did well on Math (finished with 3-4 mins left after facing tough questions). I've been used to running low on time in verbal -RC is a killer for this. I'm planning on using a different strategy - read slow and retain, rather than writing things down every paragraph (as per MGMAT books). I've been more successful just reading through the passage slowly. I'm ok with SC - usually at around 85% accuracy and CR is about 80-90%. Not sure how all this went during the test but during practice I'm least comfortable with RC.

I know 680 isn't bad but I need to compensate for a low-ish GPA (74% overall). To be completely forthcoming, I'm aiming for HBS/Stanford - I know it's a long shot, but I want to give it my best shot. I have decent experience (Corporate Strategy) and ambitious goals but I need to show ad-com I can handle the academics through a good GMAT. I plan on applying NEXT fall.

I need to polish my RC/CR higher end questions. I've started re-doing all OG-12 questions for verbal.

I'm not proud to re-write, but I feel it's something I need to do to get closure (and increase my odds). I'm thinking 1 solid month of studying (through Nov) and re-write in Dec.

I'm particularly bad at recognizing "tough" Verbal questions, for Quant it's easy to realize what GMAC is trying to do/trick you in - not the case for Verbal. The OG itself has some tougher questions (IMHO) in 30-70 question number range than from 100-130.

Anyways - if any of you have tips I'd be glad to hear them.

GMAT Score:760

by GMATBootcamp » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:25 am
m&m,

you're definitely not in the minority for having to retake the GMAT. Just browse through the high scoring gmat debriefs and I think you'll find that the majority of high scorers actually took the test multiple times.

What's important is learning from your mistakes. Keep an error log to track the types of concept or careless errors you are making and devise strategies to never make them again.

If reading slowers for RC helps you, then by all means you should do whatever works best for you. Just make sure you don't take too much time on RC that you don't finish the section in time!
Paul

Focused GMAT Preparation
www.thegmatbootcamp.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:01 am
Received a PM asking me to reply.
I was very ANXIOUS before the test
Is this typical before a big test / nervous situation? Or were you extra nervous? Do you expect this to happen again next time?

Here are some articles on stress management; take a look and see if something might be of help to you.

https://www.manhattangmat.com/stress-tips.cfm
https://www.manhattangmat.com/strategy-series-stress.cfm
I've been more successful just reading through the passage slowly.
Define "slowly." If we have a short passage with three questions (one general, two specific), we should spend a total of about 6 to 7 minutes. For a long passage with four questions (one general, three specific), total time should be about 8 to 9 minutes.

If you can read slowly and yet still answer questions both quickly and accurately, such that your total time doesn't exceed the guidelines, then that's great. If one of those pieces breaks down, though, then there's a problem.

Something to keep in mind: approximately twice as many questions will be written for each passage as you will get (witness the official guide). Do you really want to slowly read and learn everything in a passage when you know, in advance, that you will not be asked about everything that you're reading and learning?

In my opinion, the best way to approach this is with a 2-pass system. During the first pass, you're trying to understand the big picture and the structure of the passage, including the purpose of each paragraph and the general kind of information contained in each paragraph.

Then, you move to the questions and the questions themselves dictate what will happen with the second pass. You'll be able to answer any general questions already. For specific questions, you'll be able to know which paragraph to go to, and then you'll go, read carefully, and learn what you need to learn in order to answer the question.

This will leave certain portions of the passage unexamined in any real depth, yes - but that's okay, because you didn't get questions on those parts!
I'm ok with SC - usually at around 85% accuracy and CR is about 80-90%.
With what timing? (Discussing accuracy without the timing data doesn't actually tell us much, because timing affects accuracy, and unfortunately we don't have all the time in the world.) And what are the accuracy rates from? OG? Practice tests? Adaptive or static sources?

Because you're planning to apply NEXT fall, there's another thing you can do on the academic front. Take some classes (accounting, economics, etc.) through a local college. If you do this, though, then you have to get A's in the classes, of course. :) This could also open up an opportunity to get a recommendation letter from a professor - the prof could directly address any concerns about the low-ish GPA (assuming you've made a great impression on him/her, naturally!).

In terms of recognizing verbal questions - are you having this problem across the board (all three question types)? Or mostly in certain areas?

One important thing to study on verbal is the answers. On any question, ask yourself:
- why was the wrong answer so tempting? why did it look like it might be right? (be as explicit as possible)
- why was it actually wrong? what specific words indicate that it is wrong and how did I overlook those clues the first time?
- why did the right answer seem wrong? what made it so tempting to cross off the right answer? why were those things actually okay; what was my error in thinking that they were wrong?
- why was it actually right?

Do this regardless of whether you got the question right or wrong. If you got it wrong, your answer is the wrong answer to analyze. If you got it right, see if you can pick out what would be the most tempting wrong answer for someone who got it wrong. If you can do this, you're less likely to fall into the traps yourself (as you've found on quant).
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

by m&m » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:13 pm
Thanks for the replies.

To answer your questions:

1) I've never been this anxious about a test. probably because I've dedicated a lot of time to this one. The morning of the test was a little stressful at work - I'm definitely going to take the day off next time around.

2) By slowly I mean - by reading and comprehending - probably about 4-6 mins reading depending on the length of the passage, and usually able to answer the general question quite rapidly.

3) Success rate was on OG static questions - at a decent speed 1-2 mins each. I think your suggestions on analyzing right and wrong answer is good. In solving I use the POE and paraphrase strategies often - I've found this works for SC and CR.

4) As for courses - I've given it some though in the past though I don't know if it's right for me. I studied EE at a top engineering school where my grades escalated from 1st year to last. Moreover, I am on the verge of taking some time off from work to start a new venture - I think my time growing my business will have higher payback (both personally and in the eyes of ADCOM) than time in a classroom? Would appreciate your thoughts on this though?

I took some time off in Oct and plan to hit the books hard again in November. Unfortunately I've exhausted most of my practice exams from MGMAT and GMAT-Prep - though I will likely take the exams again later in mid-Nov to practice stamina. I'll try to master OG questions for content.

Thanks again for the tips