GMAT PrepT 1 Verbal

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

GMAT PrepT 1 Verbal

by pagani88 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:12 am
Hello community,

I just don't get the scoring on verbal. I got 23 questions right, according to the report, which should supposedly give me approx 25 scaled score. However, I received only 19 of scaled.

Does the Verbal section have the same principle as Quant, here I mean difficulty of particular correct answered questions? Please advice!

Kind regards,
Artur

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:56 pm
On the GMAT, you can't simply count the NUMBER of questions right and wrong and expect to know what your score will be. Because the test is adaptive (when you get one right, the next one is harder; when you get one wrong, the next is easier), your score is not determined by how many questions you get right, but WHICH ONES you get right. If you got the first several all wrong, for example, you would be testing at a lower difficulty level - the ones that you got right after that would still be low-level questions, and you would need to get many right in a row to climb back up to a higher difficulty level.

More information on how GMAT scoring works here:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog ... mat-quant/?
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog ... hs-busted/

Stop counting how many questions you've gotten right and wrong, and focus instead on WHY you're getting questions wrong. Try to make sure that you get all the easy and medium-level questions right.

The verbal is slightly different from the quant because the idea of "difficulty" is more tricky. Someone could write a very, very, very difficult quant problem that had one (and only one) unambiguously correct answer. The same isn't really true on verbal. It's not really possible to write an SC that's so difficult that most people will get it wrong, but that still has an unambiguously right answer. So, generally speaking, you need a higher percentage of questions correct to get a top verbal score than a top quant score. That said, it's still adaptive, and you still want to focus on getting all of the easy and medium ones correct, rather than counting the number of correct answers.
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by pagani88 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:14 am
Hello Ceilidh,

Thank you for your considerate explanation. Got it. Verbal is adaptive likewise Quant. Good to know.
I have bought complete MGMAT prep guide and just started my preparation, so hopefully I will nail the real test.

Thank you again.
Artur

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:44 am
pagani88 wrote:Hello Ceilidh,

Thank you for your considerate explanation. Got it. Verbal is adaptive likewise Quant. Good to know.
I have bought complete MGMAT prep guide and just started my preparation, so hopefully I will nail the real test.

Thank you again.
Artur
I'm glad to hear it! It takes hard work and determination, but you now have all the tools you need to get a top score.

Good luck!
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education