gmat preparation help

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

gmat preparation help

by salochi » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:37 am
hi can anyone help me and tell me that what is best way to concur the GMAT. I statred studuing abt gmat about 2 yrs ago. since then i have been trying to achieve but not suceeeded. I have 4 kids , everytime when i get fed from household stuff i start prep. gmat but a mkonth or 2 again i think that its not achieveable goal. I thought i am good in maths cz i have my graduation degree in double maths and statistics and massters in publiadmnistration fm india. its been while now i havent been in touch with my stidies. when I started gmat prep. it seemed damn easy especially the maths. wwhen i got just 400 on my first practice test after a month extdensive prep. for gmat it really let me down. now I am not getting that energy back to start aagin the prep. at the same time i dont wanna go toward other career.can anyone out there tell me is it sitll good to go alng the gmat prep. or should i quit.I am very depressed.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by NextGreatLeader » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:14 pm
Don't give up. If this is something that you really want, then you shouldn't quit. What was the score breakdown on your practice test? Also, what are the median GMAT scores for the schools you're targeting?

Once you determine your areas for improvement and your target score, you should map out a study schedule. Since you have 4 kids, it probably won't be easy to find free time. Therefore, you are really going to have to set a schedule -- maybe you'll wake up earlier or study while the kids are in school or after they go to bed.

Also, what materials have you been using? Not every book or program works for every person, and it's important to figure out your learning style. I've personally gotten a lot of benefit from Knewton's online program, which is highly engaging and helps to build key GMAT foundational content knowledge and strategies.

by salochi » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:40 pm
i hav prepared fm official guide 12th addition and last yr i have reviewed the kaplan preimier. this time when i gave my first prctise test i only studied through official guide and i scored just 400. i need minimum 600 to get entre into the business school. i live in calgary canada and i want to get my degree fm Haskyne school of business. Is anyone fm calgary is plannning to get into haskyne school of business.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:143 members

by Kasia@EconomistGMAT » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:31 am
To move from 400 to 600 points you will need to work really hard. The Official Guide is very useful because it is a source of the real material which you cannot find in any other resource. However, their explanations are often quite enigmatic and it might be difficult to learn from them.
I suggest you either enroll on a course or get a private tutor for even a few lessons so that somebody could help you deal with your weaknesses and point you in the right direction concerning your further learning. Once you have realized which areas need improvement, focus on them but do not forget the remaining, stronger ones. Summing up, you need to:
- identify which section/ question types are the most difficult to you and focus on them
- be very systematic and do simulation tests while learning in order to track your progress
-(if you wish) get a tutor or enroll on a course to make sure somebody can help you identify which skills you should focus more upon
Kasia
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT - the #1 rated GMAT course

"¢ If you found my post helpful, please click the "thank" button and/or follow me.

"¢ Take a 7 day free trial and find out why Economist GMAT is the highest rated GMAT course - https://gmat.economist.com/

"¢ Read GMAT Economist reviews - https://reviews.beatthegmat.com/economis ... mat-course

by salochi » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:13 am
Hi

Thanks a lot for ur advice, I haven,t been studying the gmat for past 4 months. I was so disappointed from my score. rright now I have to start the studies from begining, Is it time to take master the gmat course or iI have to start self study first. I dont want to loose this time Because past attempts have made me so depressed. Secondly, I am not native english speaker, so to what extent this course can help me to improve.