GMAT Prep Software Reliability

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

GMAT Prep Software Reliability

by alejogs » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:54 pm
Hi, 

I just took a mock using the GMATPrep and was wondering if you, or other members of the forum, knew of the software holding past test scores as opposed of providing recent scores. The reason I ask is because I did not feel well completing the test but still got a 670 (Q42 V40) a score I got last Fall using the software on the same computer. I did delete the test before doing it again today. I even uninstalled and installed the application. In any case, I got 14 wrong answers on the Q and 7 on V, if it's worth for indication. 

Thanks in advance! [/img]

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by aanderson04 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:34 pm
All I know is that I took both GMATprep practice tests the 2 days prior to my actual test and my scores were so off..

GMATprep Practice Test 1: 600
GMATprep Practice Test 2: 540
Actual GMAT: 470

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:15 members

by VP_Jim » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:26 am
Getting such a different result on the actual GMAT vs. GMAT Prep tests is very unusual. I've had hundreds of students over the years, and I can probably count on one hand the people (who I know of, at least) who dropped over 100 points from GMAT Prep to actual GMAT.

In my experience, they are accurate to within about 50 points. There are lots of variables of course, and some people do a lot better or a lot worse, but it's definitely not common.

Okay, to answer the original question - GMAT Prep doesn't remember the score from a year ago. You scored a 670 again.
Jim S. | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by aanderson04 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:03 am
Tell me about it being unusual! I was so excited when I got those scores (yes, I know they are low compared to everyone else on this site but I only need a 500 to get into the school I want). It really discouraged me to get the actual GMAT score. I mean, every review I've ever read about GMATprep says its the most accurate and now I don't even know which tests to take to give me some idea of what I would really score.

The ONLY possibility that my true score might be higher, is that on the actual GMAT I didn't finish the Quant section.. I ran out of time with ONE question left to answer.. But, really, could that affect my score by 100 points?! I highly, highly doubt it...

I don't know what to do!! :(

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:55 members
GMAT Score:760

by myohmy » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:13 am
I did drop close to 100 pts from GMAT Preps to actual GMATs (in my first attempt) -- however, I was very sick the day I took the exam, so I think it was just a poor day to gauge my ability, rather than an indicator of my "true" score.

I think usually there is a reason -- illness, fatigue, GMATPrep and GMAT are done under different conditions, etc -- that explains a substantial score disparity in GMAT and GMATPrep. It's VERY rare that it happens randomly.