gmat prep question

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

gmat prep question

by yvonne12 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:27 am
Marta bought several pencils, if each pencil was either a 23 cent pencil or a 21 cent pencil, how many 23 cent pencils did Marta buy?

1. Marta bought a total of 6 pencils

2. The total value of the pencils Marta bought was 130 cents

please explain how you would approack this question

Community Manager
Followed by:1 members

Re: gmat prep question

by jayhawk2001 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:25 pm
yvonne12 wrote:Marta bought several pencils, if each pencil was either a 23 cent pencil or a 21 cent pencil, how many 23 cent pencils did Marta buy?

Is the answer B ?

1 - insufficient. Out of the 6, any number of them can be 21 or 23.

2 - Sufficient. You can write down multiples of 23 and 21
alongside and see if there's more than 1 pair that adds up to 130

23 -- 23, 46, 69, 92, 115
21 -- 21, 42, 63, 84, 105, 126

There's only 1 unique value of 23c and 21c pencils that
add up to 130 i.e. 46 + 84. Hence sufficient.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Re: gmat prep question

by cloodle » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:59 pm
Since it takes forever to check each combination, I think it's easier to look at the units digit and easily see which adds up to zero (meaning a round number)

Thanks for the direction!

jayhawk2001 wrote:
yvonne12 wrote:Marta bought several pencils, if each pencil was either a 23 cent pencil or a 21 cent pencil, how many 23 cent pencils did Marta buy?

Is the answer B ?

1 - insufficient. Out of the 6, any number of them can be 21 or 23.

2 - Sufficient. You can write down multiples of 23 and 21
alongside and see if there's more than 1 pair that adds up to 130

23 -- 23, 46, 69, 92, 115
21 -- 21, 42, 63, 84, 105, 126

There's only 1 unique value of 23c and 21c pencils that
add up to 130 i.e. 46 + 84. Hence sufficient.

Legendary Member
Followed by:25 members
GMAT Score:730

by logitech » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:46 pm
Once again , if you see PRIME numbers in these kind of DS questions , beware of C trap! You might need only either A or B!
LGTCH
---------------------
"DON'T LET ANYONE STEAL YOUR DREAM!"

by vkb16 » Sat May 09, 2009 5:31 am
hi... I got this qs wrong in my gmatprep today, and cudnt solve it during the test, but later on, with a cool mind, I used this technique and could solve it!

1 is insufficient

Stmnt 2 says, that 23a + 21b = 130. It means that there are multiples of 21 and 23 involved. And theres only ONE combination of a and b that will work

By POE,

if there is 1 21cent pencil, there must be 130-21=109 cents left. This dsnt get divided by 23. So, this combo is not correct

if there r 2 21 cent pencils, there must be 130-2*21 = 130 -42 = 98cents left, again not divisible by 23

similarly 3 21cent pencils dsnt work

now, if we have 4 21 cents pencils, we have 130 - 4*21 = 46 cents left. 46 is divisible by 23, so the no. of 23 cents pencils is 2, and the number of 21 cents pencils is 4.

Note- this method can be used even if we wanted to find out the number of 21 cent pencils, we just use 23 to start with!
:D

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:35 am
logitech wrote:Once again , if you see PRIME numbers in these kind of DS questions , beware of C trap! You might need only either A or B!
your heart's in the right place, but the issue here actually has nothing to do with prime numbers -- this is a fundamental issue with all of these problems, in which your answer is restricted to whole numbers.
if you have a linear equation(s) to which your answer must be in WHOLE NUMBERS, then the only reliable way to solve the equation is to TEST VALUES.
it makes absolutely no difference whether the coefficients are prime; there just isn't going to be any sort of simple way to predict the outcome from the coefficients of the equation.
for instance:
5x + 7y = 48 has only one whole-number solution (x = 4, y = 4).
5x + 7y = 47 has two whole-number solutions (x = 1, y = 6, and x = 8, y = 1).
still think primes tell you anything here?

--

you are correct, though, that there is a "c trap" here.

the reason that there is a "c trap", though, has nothing to do with primes, and everything to do with sucker-punching people who just use rules of thumb without really thinking.
i.e., the sole reason for the existence of this problem is to penalize people who just look at it and say, "oh hey, two equations, two unknowns, i'll pick c." bam! wrong!
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:560

by alivapriyada » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:49 am

B wins

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:355 members
GMAT Score:780

by Ian Stewart » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:28 am
lunarpower wrote: if you have a linear equation(s) to which your answer must be in WHOLE NUMBERS, then the only reliable way to solve the equation is to TEST VALUES.
There are always shortcuts in these questions that can save a ton of time. In the question above, the prices of the pencils are very close in value, which suggests that if we know the total cost, we'll be able to determine the total number of pencils. If Marta buys 5 pencils, the total cost is at most 5*0.23 = $1.15, and if she buys 7 pencils, the total cost is at least 7*0.21 = $1.47. So if she spent $1.30, she bought six pencils. If we know the total cost and the number of pencils, there can clearly be only one value for the number of 23 cent pencils, since the more 23 cent pencils she buys, the more she'll spend (alternatively, you have two distinct linear equations in two unknowns, so we can solve). So we don't actually need to test a single number here to see that the answer is B.

Q123 in the DS section of OG12, the 'stamps' question, is similar to the one in this thread, and involves a lot of number testing if you don't spot a shortcut. On Q123 you can use a divisibility shortcut, one that can also be applied to Q65 in the Problem Solving section, and which I described here (scroll down) :

https://www.beatthegmat.com/og-12-ps-65-t35672.html
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com

Followed by:3 members

by ankur.agrawal » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:19 pm
x+y=6

23x+21y=130

Two equations which are different. Shud be gud enough to solve for x or y.

Shud be C.

I have made a blunder. :( :(

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:02 am
Ian Stewart wrote:
lunarpower wrote: if you have a linear equation(s) to which your answer must be in WHOLE NUMBERS, then the only reliable way to solve the equation is to TEST VALUES.
There are always shortcuts in these questions that can save a ton of time. In the question above, the prices of the pencils are very close in value, which suggests that if we know the total cost, we'll be able to determine the total number of pencils. If Marta buys 5 pencils, the total cost is at most 5*0.23 = $1.15, and if she buys 7 pencils, the total cost is at least 7*0.21 = $1.47. So if she spent $1.30, she bought six pencils. If we know the total cost and the number of pencils, there can clearly be only one value for the number of 23 cent pencils, since the more 23 cent pencils she buys, the more she'll spend (alternatively, you have two distinct linear equations in two unknowns, so we can solve). So we don't actually need to test a single number here to see that the answer is B.
yeah, i thought about this sort of thing. and, yes, you are certainly correct -- with this reasoning, you can solve the whole problem without firing a single shot, so to speak.
there are also similar situations for other problems, on which clever estimation can eliminate the need for actual work (even if the problem doesn't involve whole numbers). for instance, on OG12 problem solving problem #126, you can realize that the combined time must be more than 1.5 hours (since that would be the time if both machines were as fast as the faster one) and also less than 2 hours (since that would be the time if both machines were as slow as the slower one). those boundaries -- more than 1.5 hours and less than 2 hours -- leave only the correct answer in play.

however, i have two big problems with advocating these sorts of shortcuts; i prefer simply to mention them, while continuing to emphasize that students should just plug in the numbers.
here are those two issues:
1) these shortcuts are almost never going to be consistent from problem to problem, while the general recommendation (plug in numbers) is highly generalizable.
remember that the student is never going to see this problem again, and so we should judge the different methods on the probability that the student could actually be able to use them again. (i.e., students already have tons of stuff to study, so i don't want to emphasize the "low-percentage shots")
2) to use this type of reasoning, on the fly, within the rather strict time limitations imposed by the gmat, requires an uncommonly high level of mathematical intuition (coupled with an uncommon lack of psychological pressure -- the intensity of the mental frame associated with this test makes protocol that much more important, since it's a known fact that creative problem-solving ability drops markedly under psychological pressure). i.e., it's cool to show this reasoning here, mostly in order to maximize the number of approaches that students can take to the problem, but many students just won't be able to come up with it.
i.e., your post seems to have a certain subtext that students should preferentially use methods like this one. for those blessed students to whom this sort of intuition comes naturally, i would agree, but, since 100% of students should be able to understand and execute the number plugging -- and because number plugging will be universally applicable on these problems -- that's the method we should put forward as #1.
Last edited by lunarpower on Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

--

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:04 am
in fact, just to underscore the dangers of recommending such shortcuts -- the above shortcut doesn't even cut it on my two previously cited examples:
* 5-cent pencils and 7-cent pencils totaling 48 cents: only one combination.
* 5-cent pencils and 7-cent pencils totaling 47 cents: two combinations.

in both of these problems, using the given "shortcut", you'd come up with a hypothesis of ambiguity:
-- 7 pencils could cost between 35 and 49 cents;
-- 8 pencils could cost between 40 and 56 cents;
-- 9 pencils could cost between 45 and 63 cents.
so, even though these situations are almost identical to the situation in the cited problem, the same reasoning is insufficient to settle the issue -- you'd have to go ahead and plug the numbers anyway, after you'd already spent time calculating these boundary values. so, ironically, the shortcut would become more of a long-cut, in this case.

on the other hand, good old-fashioned number plugging will yield the correct results (unique solution if it's 48 cents, but not if it's 47 cents) with boring but minimal effort.

--

--

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:355 members
GMAT Score:780

by Ian Stewart » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:09 am
lunarpower wrote:in fact, just to underscore the dangers of recommending such shortcuts -- the above shortcut doesn't even cut it on my two previously cited examples:
I think you're just explaining why your 5-cent/7-cent example couldn't appear on the GMAT. The test will never (or almost never) require you to test six or more different sets of numbers for a question, so there needs to be a shortcut available. On a question like this, one in which you get a linear equation with positive integer unknowns which has only one solution, there are only two shortcuts that could, in theory, be available; the one I described here and the one (using divisibility) that I described in the post I linked to.
lunarpower wrote: 1) these shortcuts are almost never going to be consistent from problem to problem, while the general recommendation (plug in numbers) is highly generalizable.
remember that the student is never going to see this problem again, and so we should judge the different methods on the probability that the student could actually be able to use them again. (i.e., students already have tons of stuff to study, so i don't want to emphasize the "low-percentage shots")
I certainly agree that there's no value in learning shortcuts which are unique to certain problem setups. If there's no useful general takeaway that might be applied to a variety of future problems, then there's no reason to bother learning a shortcut. There are even entire questions in the OG that I think are pointless to study since their setup is so idiosyncratic, the test taker is simply never going to see something similar again - the question late in the DS section about Carl's credit card balance is one example.

Both of the available shortcuts (estimation and divisibility) in the type of question in this post are, however, applicable to all kinds of questions, and are often specifically tested. The test taker needs to learn these things anyway. And, in the 29 cent/15 cent stamps question in the OG, if you don't spot a shortcut you could easily spend four minutes plugging in values, so spotting some kind of shortcut is almost a necessity.
lunarpower wrote: your post seems to have a certain subtext that students should preferentially use methods like this one. for those blessed students to whom this sort of intuition comes naturally, i would agree, but, since 100% of students should be able to understand and execute the number plugging -- and because number plugging will be universally applicable on these problems -- that's the method we should put forward as #1.
I've worked with a lot of people who are capable of at least sometimes seeing and applying shortcuts on questions like this one. The methods that should be 'put forward' really depend on the capabilities of the student. While I agree a certain mathematical sophistication is required to recognize when to use shortcuts, that sophistication certainly is not beyond the abilities of a 40-51 scoring test taker. Of course, the more time-consuming alternative methods - number plugging - should also be offered for those who won't see, under time pressure, a faster method; even a high level test taker won't see shortcuts much of the time. But if a test taker can spot a quick shortcut on even two or three questions during the test, he or she can save so much time that pacing may no longer be an issue. It's for that reason that I think these kinds of approaches are worthwhile for the higher level test taker - I teach methods like these not with the expectation that the test taker will see some super-fast technique for all 37 questions on the test and finish the Quant section in fifteen minutes, but rather with the goal of saving them 4-6 minutes on 2-3 questions somewhere in the test. That is, it's specifically because of the time pressure on the test that these shortcuts can be invaluable.
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by dare2 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:45 am
let 'a' be the number of 23 cents pencils n 'b' be the number of 21 cents pencils

st. 1.
a+b=6 NOT SUFFICIENT. (a n b can take different values)

st. 2.
23a + 21b = 130 or
a = (130 - 21b)/23
we have to check if there r more than 1 values of 'b' for which 'a' becomes integer in the above equation. 'b' can take values 0 to 5 only and only when b=4, a give integer value(2). thus SUFFICIENT.

by Thouraya » Tue May 24, 2011 12:34 am
Hi @Ian,

So as a conclusion to what you were trying to explain above, is there a way where I can know if only ONE combination of x and y is possible for a specific total number, or whether there are MULTIPLE values which are possible? What is the best way to decide on that (if i have one equation with two unknowns).. Thank you!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:64 members
GMAT Score:790

by kevincanspain » Tue May 24, 2011 2:45 am
If pencils A costs 21 cents each and pencils B cost 23 cents each, to maintain constant the total amount spent, these two sorts of pencils have to be exchanged in a 23:21 ratio (a ratio that cannot be reduced!). Since we are only spending 130 cents on pencils, it is impossible to make such an exchange. (21 pencils cost much more than 130 cents)

If these pencils were to cost 5 and 7 cents repectively, the required exhange (7:5) would seem more possible and should be explored: find one solution and you can easily find the others!

A B
26 0
19 5
12 10
5 15

Ron makes a good point: having unit prices that are prime numbers in no way guarantees that there will be only one solution- it make sense to think of the 'exhange rate' as a ratio and express it in simplest terms.

How likely do you think is 35x + 60y = 2000 to have two solutions for which x and y are both non-negative integers ?
Kevin Armstrong
GMAT Instructor
Gmatclasses
Madrid