GMAT Prep Question Pack 1 - Noun modifier doubt ?

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members
I have a simple doubt in explanation choice C: OG says in the opening phrase, reception needs to modify BM's work rather than the whole clause. I don't understand why a 'reception' a noun needs to modify the subject of the following clause (it isn't a verb-ing or verb-ed modifier)

Below is the sentence structure:

After long years of indifferent reception by SC, Barbara's work xxxxxxxxx

To me the blue part seems like a prep phrase which should modify the whole following clause not just the subject of the following clause.

Please correct my understanding here. Thanks
Attachments
Screen shot 2012-06-02 at 6.08.04 PM.png

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:19 members
GMAT Score:740

by Birottam Dutta » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:39 am
Reception here is acting as a verb and not a noun.

Coming to the sentence,

"After long years of indifferent reception by SC" has to be followed by the thing that has been indifferently received. The answer is the work of Barbara. The work of Barbara has to immediately follow the comma. This happens only in A and B.

Since B has other grammatical errors, A is the correct option.

by sui generis » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:44 am
I doubt reception can ever act as a verb. It is a noun. check here: https://www.thefreedictionary.com/reception

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:34 pm
sui generis wrote:I have a simple doubt in explanation choice C: OG says in the opening phrase, reception needs to modify BM's work rather than the whole clause. I don't understand why a 'reception' a noun needs to modify the subject of the following clause (it isn't a verb-ing or verb-ed modifier)

Below is the sentence structure:

After long years of indifferent reception by SC, Barbara's work xxxxxxxxx

To me the blue part seems like a prep phrase which should modify the whole following clause not just the subject of the following clause.

Please correct my understanding here. Thanks
After long years of indifferent reception by the scientific community, Barbara McClintock's subtle work on the genetics of corn has now been acknowledged to be of major importance.

Here, the modifier in red serves primarily as an adverb, providing context for HOW Barbara McClintock's work HAS NOW BEEN ACKNOWLEDGED.
Under what circumstances HAS Barbara McClintock's work now BEEN ACKNOWLEDGED?
It has been acknowledged AFTER LONG YEARS OF INDIFFERENT RECEPTION.

Nonetheless, at the same time the modifier provides information about the SUBJECT of the following clause, since it was Barbara McClintock's WORK that suffered LONG YEARS OF INDIFFERENT RECEPTiON.
It is for this reason that the subject of the following clause must be what suffered long years of indifferent reception: Barbara McClintock's work.

Since the modifier in red provides information about both the subject and the verb of the following clause, it can be said to modify the ENTIRE CLAUSE.

Please note that reception is a NOUN.
Here, it serves as the object of the preposition of.
After long years of WHAT?
After long years of INDIFFERENT RECEPTION.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by sui generis » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:48 pm
Thanks for the elaborative explanation Mitch.

I understand the opening prep phrase, besides modifying the entire clause, needs an immediate subject to modify but is it a necessary condition ?

Had choice C been idiomatically correct would it be the correct answer in absence of choice A ?

As reading the explanation for choice C that the GMAT quotes confuses me - 'reception' needs to modify the specific subject rather than the whole clause.

Followed by:6 members
GMAT Score:760

by thulsy » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:08 pm
sui generis wrote:Thanks for the elaborative explanation Mitch.

I understand the opening prep phrase, besides modifying the entire clause, needs an immediate subject to modify but is it a necessary condition ?

Had choice C been idiomatically correct would it be the correct answer in absence of choice A ?

As reading the explanation for choice C that the GMAT quotes confuses me - 'reception' needs to modify the specific subject rather than the whole clause.
I think Mitch did a nice explanation. Here's my way to look at this:

The opening adverbial modifier should:
1. modify the whole sentence
and
2. apply to the subject of the sentence

Check out Question #113 in the Verbal Review 2nd. The original sentence is:
In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria, later generations lost all but lliad and odyssey among Greek epics, most of the poetry of Pindar and Sappho, and dozens of plays by Aeschylus and Euripides.

This choice (A) is wrong. Although you can construe "resulting from ..." as to modify the whole sentence, it does not apply to the subject - it's nonsense to say "later generations" were "resulting from ...".

Same deals here. The opening modifier must apply to the subject. If the subject were not "Barbara's work", it would be unclear WHAT "indifferent reception" refers to.