GMAT PREP ?? (Orchestra)

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

GMAT PREP ?? (Orchestra)

by dferm » Sun May 04, 2008 11:09 am
A certain theater has a total of 884 seats, of which 500 are orchestra seats and the rest are balcony seats. When tickets for all the seats in the theater are sold, the total revenue from ticket sales is $34,600. What was the theater's total revenue from ticket sales for last night's performance?

(1) The price of an orchestra seat ticket is twice the price of a balcony seat ticket.

(2) For last night's performance, tickets for all the balcony seats were sold, but only 80 percent of the tickets for the orchestra seats were sold.

Please Explain....

I got it correct but would like to see the equation setup for this problem...

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

Re: GMAT PREP ?? (Orchestra)

by lunarpower » Tue May 06, 2008 3:29 am
dferm wrote:A certain theater has a total of 884 seats, of which 500 are orchestra seats and the rest are balcony seats. When tickets for all the seats in the theater are sold, the total revenue from ticket sales is $34,600. What was the theater's total revenue from ticket sales for last night's performance?

(1) The price of an orchestra seat ticket is twice the price of a balcony seat ticket.

(2) For last night's performance, tickets for all the balcony seats were sold, but only 80 percent of the tickets for the orchestra seats were sold.

Please Explain....

I got it correct but would like to see the equation setup for this problem...
the statements in the prompt tell you that there are 500 orchestra seats and 384 balcony seats. let 'o' be the price of an orchestra seat, and 'b' be the price of a balcony seat.
then the statement in the prompt tells us that
500o + 384b = 36,400

(1)
this tells us that
o = 2b
that's a substitution, which we can use in the equation above, and which will therefore yield a unique solution (o, b) for the prices of the 2 different types of tickets.
however, this statement tells us nothing about last night's performance, so it is insufficient.

(2)
this tells us that all 384 balcony seats, and 400 of the 500 orchestra seats, were sold.
we don't have price points for the two different types of seats, so we can't figure this one out. (the more that the orchestra seats cost, relative to the balcony seats, the farther short of $34,600 the revenue will fall.)

(together)
from statement (1) we can figure the price of each type of ticket, so we know 'o' and 'b'. using statement (2), we know that the revenue is 384b + 400o. plug in and find out the revenue.
sufficient

answer = c
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by peter456 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:55 am
An old thread though.
Original question: 500x + 384b = 34,600
I was lured into thinking x and y each have a unique value.
So, I chose B because then we would have:
500(0.8x) + 384b... x and b known from d original stem.

I was wrong...how do I test whether an equation of such has a unique solution or not.

Thanks in anticipation

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:08 am
Hi peter456,

The 'issue' with your work is more about the note-taking you did than about any particular math that you would have to do.

From the original prompt, we're told that when ALL the seats are sold, total revenue would be $34,600. Given the information on the number of seats, we can construct the following equation:

500X + 334Y = 34,600 where X is the PRICE of an orchestra seat and Y is the PRICE of a balcony seat.

The question asks for the total revenue from LAST NIGHT'S show. Thus, we need to know X and Y AND we need to know how many of each type of ticket was sold. That means we need information on ALL 4 variables!!! From what you described, I don't think that you noted that when you originally faced this question.

Fact 2 gives us enough information to figure out how many of each ticket were sold, but we still know NOTHING about X and Y (the prices of the two tickets). Thus, we cannot determine the total revenue from last night's show.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:17 pm
peter456 wrote:An old thread though.
Original question: 500x + 384y = 34,600
I was lured into thinking x and y each have a unique value.

I was wrong...how do I test whether an equation of such has a unique solution or not.

Thanks in anticipation
When a linear equation with two variables is constrained to POSITIVE INTEGERS, we should check whether the equation has only one possible solution.
Check my two posts here:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/word-transla ... 09-15.html

In the red equation above, x and y represent PRICES.
Since the tickets prices do not have to be integer values, the equation will have many solutions.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by peter456 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:47 am
Thanks Rich & GmatGuru.

The said variables represent prices and would have several pairs of solution.

Paying careful attention to instructions is key.