GMAT Prep many errors but solved them during review < 2 m

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi,

I took GMAT Prep and did not do good. What I noticed is that in first 20 questions I got 8 wrong. Now I went one by one and I solved each of them within 2 minutes! Only one question I did not solve because I did not understand the question at all.

Have you guys ever had this? It is like i had a block that prevented me from solving these questions.

Thanks,
TheGuest

Legendary Member
Followed by:90 members

by Tani » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:14 pm
Many people have test anxiety. Kaplan prep courses also include stress workshops to help you deal with the pressures of test day. Problems that seem easy during homework seem impossible in a test situation. The answer is to do as many practice tests as possible so that the testing situation is familiar and stress is minimized. Then, when you are testing, focus on the question in front of you. Don't think about your score or the last question or anything but the one that you are facing.

Familiarity with the content is key, but so is familiarity with test strategies and the test-taking experience.

Good luck,
Tani Wolff

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by TheGuest » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:45 pm
I am not sure if it has to do anything with anxiety. I just think about time all the time I go through problems. Crazy.

I'd be happy to hear what others have to say about this.

Legendary Member

by Tani » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:25 pm
Thinking about time distracts you from thinking about the problems. While you are working a problem the ONLY thing on your mind should be that problem and how to solve it efficiently. Simply writing FOCUS in big letters at the top of your scratch pad can help. You just need to remind yourself what the task is.
Tani Wolff

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by John Faber » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:29 am
Hello Guest,

I have the very same problem. I have no problem solving a question when not working under test conditions in an appropriate time. As soon as I do a proper prep test I cannot focus, I become very anxious, etc.... I think the advice that Tani gave is gold. Doing lots of prep tests under realistic conditions mimics the situation you are going to face pretty good. My first two prep tests were horrible and I scored very badly getting things such as 2*3 wrong. On top of that the GMAT tests trick you by giving you answer options that happen under stress situations.... However, I did my third prep test today and it went way better, still a bit anxious but I was way more relaxed.. I am going to do 5 more tests every day from now on at 12 o'clock, just to simulate what I am going to encounter next week monday... Then, next week monday will just be another day of a prep test ;)

hope that helps..

Legendary Member

by Tani » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:35 am
A great plan! I remember asking my daughter when she got home from taking the SAT. "How was it?" "Oh, Mother, I've taken so many it was just like another class." She blew the test away. Confidence and familiarity are HUGE!
Tani Wolff