Gmat prep: Katharine Graham...

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

Gmat prep: Katharine Graham...

by vittalgmat » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:27 am
It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspapers, and it was under her command that the paper won high praise for its unrelenting reporting of the Watergate scandal.

A) It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspapers, and it was under her command that the paper won high praise
B) It was only after Katharine Graham's becoming publisher of The Washington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspapers, and under her command it had won high praise
C) Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963 and only after that did it move into the first rank of American newspapers, having won high praise under her command
D) Moving into the first rank of American newspapers only after Katharine Graham became its publisher in 1963, The Washington Post, winning high praise under her command
E) Moving into the first rank of American newspapers only after Katharine Grahame's becoming its publisher in 1963, The Washington Post won high praise under her command

I have some questions on "it" in the original sentence. Can the experts help me answer this.

1. Is the first "it" the expletive it?
2. What does the second "it" refer to ?
Washington Post?.

3. "in 1963": is it an adverbial phrase modifying "became" ?
4. What is the function of "it" in "it was under her command" ?.. Is that also an expletive it?

BTW OA is A
Thanks a lot
Last edited by vittalgmat on Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmatmachoman » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:39 am

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Re: Gmat prep: Katharine Graham...

by xcusemeplz2009 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:28 am
vittalgmat wrote:It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspapers, and it was under her command that the paper won high praise for its unrelenting reporting of the Watergate scandal.

A) It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspapers, and it was under her command that the paper won high praise
B) It was only after Katharine Graham's becoming publisher of The Washington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspapers, and under her command it had won high praise
C) Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963 and only after that did it move into the first rank of American newspapers, having won high praise under her command
D) Moving into the first rank of American newspapers only after Katharine Graham became its publisher in 1963, The Washington Post, winning high praise under her command
E) Moving into the first rank of American newspapers only after Katharine Grahame's becoming its publisher in 1963, The Washington Post won high praise under her command

I have some questions on "it" in the original sentence. Can the experts help me answer this.

Washington Post?.

4. What is the function of "it" in "it was under her command" ?.. Is that also an expletive it?

BTW OA is A
Thanks a lot
It can be use without any antecedent...like ..It was raining today...
second it is reffering to the washington post
and i think in 1963 is a prepositional phrase

i guess the third it is also refreing to the washington post.....

A seems correct
It does not matter how many times you get knocked down , but how many times you get up

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:614 members
GMAT Score:800

Re: Gmat prep: Katharine Graham...

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:02 pm
vittalgmat wrote:It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspapers, and it was under her command that the paper won high praise for its unrelenting reporting of the Watergate scandal.

Washington Post?.

Thanks a lot
Hi,

I've never heard of the "expletive it" - good thing we don't need to know any terminology for the GMAT!

As xcuseme notes, "it" is the one and only pronoun that can be used without an antecedent, when we refer to the state of the universe; "it is raining" is a great example - "it" refers to the universe at large.

The first "it" does indeed refer to the universe at large and has no antecedent.

The second "it" refers to the Washington Post (the only singular neutral noun so far in the sentence).

The third "it" also refers to the universe at large.

"in 1963" describes when Graham became publisher.

Stuart Kovinsky | Kaplan GMAT Faculty | Toronto

Kaplan Exclusive: The Official Test Day Experience | Ready to Take a Free Practice Test? | Kaplan/Beat the GMAT Member Discount
BTG100 for $100 off a full course

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by vittalgmat » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:14 pm
Thanks Stuart for the explanation.
"expletive it" is used in the book "Doing Grammar"

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by poo1 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:22 am
What is wrong with ans e?