GMAT Prep # 2

Share feedback about this free GMAT prep guide
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

GMAT Prep # 2

by casalily » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:52 pm
So having completed almost all the MGMAT books (except Sentence Correction - working on it currently), I decided to take the second test to see where I stand since I'm currently a month away from my test. My base score was 400 (24Q, 21V) and my new score was 550 (42Q, 24V) - second time taking it after a month of practice. Given that I have a month to keep practicing, I was wondering if I'm currently in a good place to work up my score to at least 700+. I also worked on the whole IR section on this test as opposed to the last one just to see where I stood and scored 8/12. I wasn't sure where that fell in the scale so I was wondering if that was a good place to be at. I hadn't practiced two table analysis and multi-variable yet and those were the sections I didn't score. I also took time to review and found that most of my errors in Verbal were in SC (7/17) whereas CR (6/11) and RC (11/13) seemed to be ok. I have been practicing Quant the most for the past week and haven't really practiced CR and RC past the MGMAT books. I was wondering if I'm on schedule in terms having time to improve or not.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:07 pm
casalily wrote:So having completed almost all the MGMAT books (except Sentence Correction - working on it currently), I decided to take the second test to see where I stand since I'm currently a month away from my test. My base score was 400 (24Q, 21V) and my new score was 550 (42Q, 24V) - second time taking it after a month of practice. Given that I have a month to keep practicing, I was wondering if I'm currently in a good place to work up my score to at least 700+. I also worked on the whole IR section on this test as opposed to the last one just to see where I stood and scored 8/12. I wasn't sure where that fell in the scale so I was wondering if that was a good place to be at. I hadn't practiced two table analysis and multi-variable yet and those were the sections I didn't score. I also took time to review and found that most of my errors in Verbal were in SC (7/17) whereas CR (6/11) and RC (11/13) seemed to be ok. I have been practicing Quant the most for the past week and haven't really practiced CR and RC past the MGMAT books. I was wondering if I'm on schedule in terms having time to improve or not.
First of all, great work! A 150-point improvement is fantastic.
It certainly seems like you're on track to break 700, but it will require a lot of work.
Keep at it :-)

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by casalily » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:16 pm
Thanks! I was really surprised and hopefully it'll only get better. I took enough time to analyze my answers and hopefully with enough practice in all the areas I'm weak in, I'll get better.