GMAT PREP 1: 600 Q47 V26 ...need suggestions

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hey guys,

I have been preparing for the GMAT for approx. 2 weeks and decided to do the 1st GMAT PREP Test in order to get an indication of my current abilities.

The result is: 600 Q47 V26

Obviously, the verbal part is not sufficient at all, whereas the quant part is not too bad.

What would you guys consider an appropriate studying strategy? I recognised that I have the most difficulties in SC, although the other two parts are not significantly better.

So far, I have been working through "Cracking the GMAT" und Kaplan's "GMAT 800". I am asking myself whether the Manhattan books are a good way to start working on my "problems" with regard to the verbal part.

I would really appreciate any comments, especially on (well-approved) strategies on how to BEAT the verbal part.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Cheers
PeterPaul

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:15 members

by eternal_optimist » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:38 am
47 on Maths is quite a good score, I'd say and if you could increase your Verbal score , you should be able to manage a good score. Cracking the GMAT is a good book just for the beginners . So if you are targetting at something like 500, that book will be helpful, however if you are looking at a better score, neither that book or the Kaplan book will be helpful. Manhattan Strategy Guides are excellent for Maths ;however, for Verbal , you may only wanna buy Manhattan SC Guide as the other books are not all that helpful. Supplement that with Aristotle SC Grail and I think you should be able to tackle SC effectively .For CR, Powerscore CR bible is an amazing book. RC is more about practice and you may wanna go for Veritas RC book or for RC99. So the idea is to use the best books available for each area so that you can make the most out of your studies.

by PeterPaul » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:22 am
@eternal_optimist:

thanks for your quick response. It really helped a lot and as I have already heart about these books, I will definitely use them.

Just a quick question: Am I correct that both Aristotle SC Grail and RC99 are only available online (eBook)?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:15 members

by eternal_optimist » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:56 pm
PeterPaul wrote:@eternal_optimist:

thanks for your quick response. It really helped a lot and as I have already heart about these books, I will definitely use them.

Just a quick question: Am I correct that both Aristotle SC Grail and RC99 are only available online (eBook)?
My pleasure! Yes, these are available as ebooks only.

by KA08 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:22 pm
PeterPaul -

I was in your situation also. Good Quant, poor verbal. The Manhattan GMAT study guides helped the most, especially the SC one. They have a section on idioms that helped quite a bit.

Good luck!