GMAT on Thursday!

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:710

GMAT on Thursday!

by iMBA » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:44 pm
Hello everyone! First I want to thank everyone who has contributed to this community.

Ok... so I have my GMAT this upcoming Thursday, so I don't have a lot of time left to study. Unfortunately I have not studied as much as I should have. Work has been very demanding lately. So i was hoping i could get some advice on how to cram for this test?

My biggest verbal weakness is SC. I'm having trouble remembering all the grammar rules.

As for quant, PS for some reason is getting to me. There are some concepts that i keep forgetting such as all the consecutive integer rules.

My practice tests have been disappointing.

All MGMAT:
1) 640
2) 650
3) 610
4) 620
5) 600

I'm trying to keep things in perspective: I will be applying for mba programs in 3-4 years, so i have time on my side, but still... i want to do the best I can. I guess i want to get a 670+ my first time around. I am shooting for a 700+ score in the end.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you all!!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:60 members

by arun@crackverbal » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:17 am
Just 1 advice - Postpone your test.

You are not looking at applying anytime soon so why bother. If you take GMAT multiple times it MAY be used against you (in certain schools). Also why would you want to repeat the effort all over again?

The way I see it - GMAT is like a root canal operation. You want to do it once. You want to do it right.

Arun
Founder of CrackVerbal - India's fastest growing GMAT Prepration and MBA Admissions Consulting Company. https://gmat.crackverbal.com

Free Ebook on GMAT | GMAT Scoring, Study plan, top study mistakes etc
Download here: https://gmat.crackverbal.com/15-minute-gmat-guide

Good enough to get into Harvard? Or would be it ISB? Get a free profile report PDF mailed to you: https://applications.crackverbal.com/fre ... valuation/

by iMBA » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:06 pm
I see what you mean. If I do postpone the GMAT, wont I lose the fee?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:60 members

by arun@crackverbal » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:06 am
I didn't quite get this - the original poster is a different id.

However, assuming both of you are the same - great! For once I am happy no one listened to me :)

Also this perhaps signifies what this forum holds for you - you will have plenty of people giving you advice (I have been doing that on another MBA forum for over 8 years now!). At the end of the day it is about what you think is the best for you.

Congratulations once again!

Arun
Founder of CrackVerbal - India's fastest growing GMAT Prepration and MBA Admissions Consulting Company. https://gmat.crackverbal.com

Free Ebook on GMAT | GMAT Scoring, Study plan, top study mistakes etc
Download here: https://gmat.crackverbal.com/15-minute-gmat-guide

Good enough to get into Harvard? Or would be it ISB? Get a free profile report PDF mailed to you: https://applications.crackverbal.com/fre ... valuation/

by iMBA » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:11 am
Thank you Arun!! And yes, I guess during all my excitement I didn't notice that I logged in with an old screen name. Thank you for the advice.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:33 pm
Sorry I did not see this one a few days ago. I am glad that you got in there and took the exam and succeeded!

A couple of thoughts here --

First, remember that the GMATPrep is the practice test that gives you a somewhat accurate idea of where you are. The Manhattan Tests are known to score a bit tougher, as our some of the 15 tests that are available to our Veritas students.

Secondly, it is usually a good idea, if you are taking the test for the first time, to go ahead and take it -- if you have it scheduled and you seem to be within striking distance of your score. As in your experience you might get your score! At least you will know where you are and the next time you take it you will know just what is going to happen. And if you postpone the test too long you might put too much pressure on the test if you wait too long to take it.

Thirdly, As you mentioned, if you are within 7 days of your scheduled test date you do lose the entire fee if you reschedule. Now if you are more than 7 days away from the test you pay a $50 rescheduling fee only.

Congratulations on your score!!
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:47 pm
Man ! 710 is really a far cry from the 600 around that you scored on MGMAT . Hi David , So can we say it all depends on the day on which you take the test irrespective of how you have been scoring in the Mocks.Really glad to see this guy scoring beyond the scores predicted by Mocks .
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members
GMAT Score:700

by prachich1987 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:52 pm
I think such miracles happen rarely..Most of d the times score in actual GMAT differs with scores in actual tests by not more than 40-50 points
Thanks!
Prachi

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by ankurmit » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:22 am
I have also seen such a miracle.1 week before test I got 600 on GMAT Prep.My fnds advised me to reschedule date but I was confident that I will get good score.I scored 710 on actual test.
--------
Ankur mittal

by iMBA » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:04 pm
First of all, thank you guys! This forum has helped me out A LOT!!!

David- I wanted to use GMATPrep, but it's not available on mac :( And I guess in the end, the toughness of the MGMAT CATs helped me get the score I did.

And I think the reason for the gap in scores is that during my practice CATs, I noticed myself often rushing thru the tests just to see my score. I would also get easily distracted during the verbal section causing me to not fully understand what the RC and CR were asking.

I'm pretty happy with my score, but I'm debating if I should retake it. Here is my full debrief https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-600-710 ... tml#380756 and my worries about 710 being a "low" score for me.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Buix0065 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:24 pm
iMBA wrote:Hello everyone! First I want to thank everyone who has contributed to this community.

Ok... so I have my GMAT this upcoming Thursday, so I don't have a lot of time left to study. Unfortunately I have not studied as much as I should have. Work has been very demanding lately. So i was hoping i could get some advice on how to cram for this test?

My biggest verbal weakness is SC. I'm having trouble remembering all the grammar rules.

As for quant, PS for some reason is getting to me. There are some concepts that i keep forgetting such as all the consecutive integer rules.

My practice tests have been disappointing.

All MGMAT:
1) 640
2) 650
3) 610
4) 620
5) 600

I'm trying to keep things in perspective: I will be applying for mba programs in 3-4 years, so i have time on my side, but still... i want to do the best I can. I guess i want to get a 670+ my first time around. I am shooting for a 700+ score in the end.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you all!!
Hey iMBA,

What are those "consecutive integer rules" that you referenced?

Thanks!

by iMBA » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:19 pm
Buix0065,

The consecutive integer rules are like how to find "The sum of the consecutive integers from 51 - 101, inclusive?" Or there are certain rules about consecutive multiples (3,6,9,12) I guess I just had issues with Number Properties in general such as add/even rules, divisibility rules, primes, and roots. But after reviewing the MGMAT study guide on Number Properties, I think i was able to understand the content more. Hope this helps. (also keep in mind that I tend to be disorganized during my posts, so some things probably dont make sense lol)

-iMBA