GMAT Math preperation

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

GMAT Math preperation

by moneyhar » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:35 pm
Hi ,

Basing on the below info. , can any one tell me where do I stand in GMAT math preperation.
I just now completed the "EZ solutions MATH PRACTICE ADVANCED WORKBOOK for GMAT". I found that Iam weak at

1. Probability
2. Permutation and Combinations
3. Coordinate Geometry

W.R.T other areas like algebra,geometry,arithmetic e.t.c., I was able to solve 80% of the problems, without referring to answers section.
Right now iam working on Quant problems in GMAT QUANT OFFICIAL GUIDE.
Iam aiming for 750. Do I need to spend time and learn the above mentioned 3 chapters, where Iam weak... or goahed without thiking about them.
Thanks & Regards
MANOHAR

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:760

by cbenk121 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:22 am
First, if you're aiming for a 750, no where in your post did I see anything mentioned about verbal. Far more people get high quant scores than high verbal scores, so I think a strong verbal score would be weighted more in the composite. So don't forget about that section, nor assume that a high math score alone will automatically get you a 750!

Second, many people worry way too much about probability & permutations/combinations (possibly due to those topics not being covered in high school, possibly due to MGMAT using complex PP&C problems in its practice exams). There's an excellent Beat the GMAT article on permutations & combinations - do a search for it, or my post in "Just Beat the GMAT", where I listed it. Literally, that one article is ALL you need to know on permutations & combinations.

Third, I think it's always a good idea to iron out your weaknesses - you'll never know what you'll be asked on your GMAT, so making sure you have all the concepts down COLD maximizes your chances of doing well.

Fourth, to get a high math score, you really should be getting at least 95% of your practice problems correct. So while 80% is a good start, shoot higher!

by pranali » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:02 pm
Hi cbenk,

I have searched for the article you have mentioned below, but unable to get the right one. Please can you provide the link for your article where all P&C stuff, required for GMAT, is available.

Thanks
Pranali

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by valleeny » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:25 pm
This must be the article referred to.

https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2009/10/ ... asy-method[/url]

by pranali » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:18 am
Thanks valleeny. It helped... But I guess this is not the one cbenk is referring to...