GMAT Math Practice Problems and OG Quantitative Review?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi!!

I have been doing practice problems (both problem solving and data sufficiency) from books by Princeton Review and Kaplan for about a month and a half, but unfortunately I have really been struggling to reach the correct answers. I usually can't answer any of the medium or difficult problems.

Right now, I'm deciding between buying the OG Quantitative Review for additional practice problems or redoing the problems that I got wrong in the other books. Has anybody used the OG Quantitative Review? Do you think it would be worth the money and maybe improve my quantitative score?

I really just want to start getting more of the medium and difficult problems correct because right now I usually can only tackle the easier problems! Any responses/advice will be appreciated! thanks! :)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:31 members

by joshcollins » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:59 pm
Hi,

Have you taken any practice tests? If so, how have you scored? That information would probably help others to advise on how best to spend your time and money.

-Josh

by amtoninato » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:19 pm
Hello,

Thanks for the response! Yes, I just took my first practice test on Monday and scored a 540. I'm looking to get around a 600, so I went over the questions on my first practice test this week and maybe will take another one on Friday. Still not sure about the extra math book, but any other advice would be great! :)

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:57 pm
Hi amtoninato,

Since your score goal is 600+ (instead of 700+), you actually have a number of different ways to pick up those missing points. The line between a 540 and a 600 is remarkably thin, so you won't need to get that many additional questions correct, BUT you can't afford to make silly mistakes on questions either. To that end, I'd recommend that you take a good look at HOW you handle Data Sufficiency and Sentence Corrections. Each of those question types are heavily represented on the GMAT. Locking in on those categories (either of them) could be all that it takes for you to get that 600. If you're willing to work a little harder though, and make the necessary adjustments, then you're really not that far from a 650+. Either way, you'll need some resources beyond those books. You're training for Test Day, which means you have to have realistic practice (not just in the questions that you answer, but in the format that you answer them in). Try using some of the free online resources out there and don't be afraid to spend a little money. This is your FUTURE after all.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by amtoninato » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:51 pm
Hi Rich!

Thanks so much for the advice above! Just to clarify, you would suggest to focus on improving either sentence correction or data sufficiency or both of those areas? I went through some sentence correction questions and definitely found that I had been rushing through the questions and missing obvious mistakes by scanning the answer choices. I started reviewing data sufficiency questions today as well and I found that I need to spend more time determining what the question is asking. I have a couple other questions as well. Is it safe to assume that the numbers in the data sufficiency questions are real numbers or does it need to state that in the question? Also, how many practice tests would you recommend taking without over-studying? I've taken two tests and again my test is on July 29th! Thanks so much!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:39 am
Hi amtoninato,

Both SC and DS are significant chunks of the GMAT, so your missing points could easily be found in either of those two sections. With SCs, most grammar rules are just a "matching game", so match the verb to the noun, match the pronoun to the noun, match the two-part phrase, etc. DS questions are essentially about thoroughness, so be sure to consider all the possibilities (positive, negative, zero, fractions, etc. All numbers in DS questions are real numbers.

As to practice test, we typically advise no more than 1 per week. The bulk of your time should be spent doing practice problems, review, etc. The CAT is a measuring device that gives you an approximate score and points out your weak spots/mistakes. So, with the time remaining in July, you should plan on no more than 2-3 CATs.

Rich

by amtoninato » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:03 pm
Thanks Rich!

Great advice! I have already taken two practice tests, so I will most likely take a GMAT prep test next week and continue with practice problems (focusing on sentence correction/D and S) the rest of the time.

I also have a question about the recent scoring between my practice test from Princeton Review and my practice test from Kaplan. I scored a 540 on my Kaplan practice test. With the Princeton Review test, I was happy to see that I answered way more questions correctly on the Princeton test than on my Kaplan test (29 out of 41 on verbal and 20 out of 37 on quant). However, my score plummeted to a 440. Do you think this is because of the range of difficulty in problems? Most of my problems on Princeton were easy/medium questions and in Kaplan most of the questions were again mostly easy/medium questions. Just thought I would run this by you and see if you had any insight on how GMAT calculates scoring because it seemed odd to me that I answered so many more questions correctly on the Princeton test and got a score that was 100 points lower...

Thanks again! :)

Ash

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:07 pm
Hi Ash,

There are a number of factors involved in calculating a GMAT score and as it's a complex formula, I won't go into the details here. Suffice to say, the number of correct answers can be a misleading statistic. There has been some debate as to the accuracy of "in house" CATs that are created by GMAT prep companies. While I can't speak to the veracity of anyone's claims (especially conspiracy theories - 1/2 the people who offer an opinion think the Kaplan CATs are harder than the real test, 1/2 think they're easier), we have found that certain tests tend to be more accurate than others. To that end, if you're looking for the "best" CAT resources, we recommend:

1) The 2 CATs from MBA.com (in addition, they're FREE)
2) The CATs from Kaplan and Manhattan GMAT (Kaplan offers 9 with its course, Manhattan GMAT has a 6-pack that you can purchase a la carte).

Rich

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:34 pm
Rich's advice is bang on; your scores are not based on how many questions you answer correctly; they're based on the level of difficulty of the questions you answer correctly.

To illustrate this, I'll share an experiment I performed.

When I was writing the article Taking the GMATPrep Practice Tests Multiple Times (https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2010/03/ ... iple-times), I took GMATPrep Practice Test #1 four times, and each time I answered every second question correctly (I did this for the quant section only)

Given that I correctly answered exactly half of the questions each time, you'd expect my quant scores to be roughly the same for all 4 tests.

My 4 scaled scores were: 19, 23, 26 and 42

This represents a percentile range from approximately 8th percentile to the 63rd percentile.

So, don't worry about how many questions you answered correctly. It has nothing to do with your score.

Aside: If you're interested, we have a free video explaining the GMAT scoring algorithm: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gener ... es?id=1251

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by amtoninato » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:26 pm
Thanks to both of you!

Great advice! I'm really thankful that I am more aware about the GMAT's focus on the difficulty of the level of questions, especially since I was probably most stressed about getting every single answer correct. With that said, I then have one more question about the difficulty of problems. If the GMAT starts with medium level questions, than is it crucial that you spend more time on these medium-level questions in the beginning in order to receive more difficult problems that will boost your score higher later in the test? I've heard some mixed reviews about spending more time on the medium questions in the beginning in order to receive the more difficult questions, so I thought I would ask in order to clarify things! Thanks again for the advice, and I will definitely be utilizing one of those free MBA.com tests this week !

Thanks again,

Ash :)