GMAT in 4 days...how to deal with the stress/anxiety?

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:710
On my CAT's that I've been using to get ready for this, I've been scoring in the low to mid 700's when I am totally relaxed...

However, when I am stressed about the CAT, my overall score comes down 30-50.

Any advice you guys have for dealing with the stress on test day?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by kelsi111 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:45 pm
What is your favorite thing to do? Go do that, even if it is a little expensive. You just spent $250 on the exam, so what's a bit extra spending if it will help you maximize your score?

Don't cram. You've done what you can! Relax so that your brain is in peak condition. Happy people do better on all tests!

Like they say in running a marathon, the training is the hard part, the marathon is the reward. You've done the hard part, the study. Now you are going to go take and ace that exam! :)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:770

by shadowsjc » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:45 pm
Don't change your study habits for the last few days. If you normally study for 2-3 hours a day, then continue that up until the day before the exam. If you all of a sudden start studying 5-6 hours a day, your body will not know how to react, your mind will feel as if it can't learn fast enough, and you'll be stressed.

Go to sleep early the night before the test. Chances are you won't fall asleep right away. Although i didn't do this, you might consider taking a half a dose of Benadryl or Nyquil to help you sleep. However don't take a full dose as you might feel drowsy in the morning.

Don't do any studying the day of the test. The night before, write down a timeline and a plan of what you're going to do on test day. then, wake up as early as you can and stick by the schedule. This will help you remain calm before your test, and it will prevent you from feeling like you have to rush to get everything done.

Another thing that helped me was going to the gym a few hours before my test. If you can't make it to a gym, maybe try going out for a run, or doing some pushups or situps in your house. Just remember not to overdo it - you don't want to have a pulled muscle during your test!

And most importantly - just know there is no 100% way to eliminate anxiety. It's perfectly normal to be nervous before the test; you just have to control it as best you can, and not let it take over you.
my GMAT debrief: https://www.beatthegmat.com/came-through ... 44327.html

You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day,
nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday.
A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right, but it will not come near you.

- Psalm 91: 5-7