GMAT Content Breakdown

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

GMAT Content Breakdown

by sqazi01 » Thu May 29, 2014 6:17 pm
Does anyone have a rough idea of what type of Quant questions are more likely to show up? Are there some that I should focus on more than others. The list of quant content being:

Geometry
Number Properties
Algebra
Word Problems
Fractions, Decimals, & Percents

Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu May 29, 2014 7:44 pm
Hi sqazi01,

The number of questions from any given category will vary a bit depending on your level of performance and the Randomizer that's built into the GMAT.

That having been said, each of the categories that you've listed will account for a significant number of questions, so they're ALL areas that are worth spending time on.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Thu May 29, 2014 7:51 pm
If your prep time is limited, it's a good idea to focus on concepts that have the greatest return on investment. These are concepts that are tested frequently and require the least amount of time to learn. In my opinion, the include:
- Data Sufficiency strategies [If you're looking for some extra DS resources, we have a free set of videos that cover everything you need to know: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-data-sufficiency]
- Percent
- Integer Properties
- Powers/roots
- Algebra
- Geometry

Aside: I see a lot of students spending A LOT of time agonizing over concepts like Probability and Counting, when these topics can take a long time to master and, relatively speaking, are not often tested.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com